The Replacements Appreciation thread...

zhivago

• Members

Originally posted by voerking

totally fine. nobody loves everything. i'm sure you would hate my band for it's conspicuous lack of lyrics, or even vocals for that matter. the replacements for some reason fill me with complete hatred because they represent so many things about bands that i don't like (the whole drunken bar band image, "heartfelt" lyrics, sloppy musicianship). as i said earlier...to each their own.

If you didn't sound like such a dullard, it wouldn't be so tempting to respond to you.

Like the Replacements are responsible for the drunken 'tude? Silly.

If the Replacements sucked that hard and were drunken fools, this conversation wouldn't be happening. They played there asses off and folks dug that. the drunken {censored} was a pitiful joke most of us tolerated.

• Members

totally fine. nobody loves everything. i'm sure you would hate my band for it's conspicuous lack of lyrics, or even vocals for that matter. the replacements for some reason fill me with complete hatred because they represent so many things about bands that i don't like (the whole drunken bar band image, "heartfelt" lyrics, sloppy musicianship). as i said earlier...to each their own.

Usually everyone is entitled to their opinion but in this case, I think this right should be recinded.

Please, please, please-show us some illustrations of lyrics that are better than any of the examples that Thelonius so graciously posted for us.

And not liking the Stones-I mean really. I suppose you have something against the Beatles also.

Don't mean to bust your balls, but I'm gonna.:p

• Members

It's all cool, nothing personal. But yeah...what DO you like?

• Members

jeez, everybody here is so touchy about their sacred cows...i'm not saying any of these bands suck, i'm saying they don't appeal to my particular tastes.
i hereby renounce my right to an opinion about the replacements, since i'm so obviously wrong...:rolleyes:

• Members

Ah yes, here comes the dreaded relativism. Anyone can hide behind the curtain of "you like what you like and I like what I like." It is indefensible.

But, here's the question: couldn't we agree that something is the best of its type even if we don't like it? For instance, I don't listen to jazz that much, but when I listen to John Coltrane, I can detect the brilliance even though I don't really like it?

• Members

sooo...what are the replacements the "best" at?

I can tell you from my experiences, when I saw them in '85 and '89 that nobody was better a {censored}in up a song and laughing it off because they were having a good time and it was after all, just a rock and roll show.

This in turn allowed everyone to have a good time, which is what it's all about.

• Members

Sorry, I forgot the stupid smiley face at the end of my last post. Here: :)

Thanks for the spirited argument. I can actually understand your position on said subject. And I checked out your band because of it. And I think it's good. Even if it's not something I like. :thu:

:wave:

• Members

Uh, Voerking, you have some explaining to do. First you diss the replacements. Then you claim not to have heard hilltop distillery, when in fact they shared a bill with your band and you didn't bother to check 'em out I guess:

***Saturday, October 11th
@ The Southgate House in Newport, KY

Gorge Trio (SkinGraft Records,
ex-colossamite, iceburn, & current deerhoof),

Grand Ulena (Family Vineyard Records, ex-dazzling killmen, &
brise glase, lots of work w/ jim o' rourke),

Hilltop Distillery (State Bird Records)

Encyclopedia Of Thee Esoteric Man (Epicene Sound Systems)

• Members
Originally posted by roygbiv

Uh, Voerking, you have some explaining to do. First you diss the replacements. Then you claim not to have heard hilltop distillery, when in fact they shared a bill with your band and you didn't bother to check 'em out I guess:

***Saturday, October 11th

@ The Southgate House in Newport, KY

Gorge Trio (SkinGraft Records,

ex-colossamite, iceburn, & current deerhoof),

Grand Ulena (Family Vineyard Records, ex-dazzling killmen, &

brise glase, lots of work w/ jim o' rourke),

Hilltop Distillery (State Bird Records)

Encyclopedia Of Thee Esoteric Man (Epicene Sound Systems)

Maybe they ran off the stage in shame and utter disgust.

:D
Just kidding, I'll check out vorekings site, do they have music downloads?

• Members

I like Let It Be just as much as any other kid, and this thread inspired me to download Tim. It's the smoothest rock I've ever enjoyed. I'm not sure what's going on. I wish my life would fade into a montage in a teen movie where the boy and girl fall in love and it fades out with them up on a hill at night looking at the stars.

:wave:

Archived