The Replacements Appreciation thread...

zhivago

• Members

i don't think it's possible for me to hate a band more than i hate the replacements. painfully banal lyrics sung in a craggy out of tune voice over sloppy three chord tunes. also, i hold them accountable for every crappy drunk bar band they have influenced.

• Members

When I got into these guys, I was dissapointed in myself for not having been into them that much longer.

I actually found them from the Singles soundtrack. Westerberg had a couple of tunes on there and I was just getting worn out on the Seattle guys and was like "so who's this Westerberg guy and these Smashing Pumpkins fellows?" :D

• Members
Originally posted by voerking

painfully banal lyrics

I hope and pray that one day I'm able to write lyrics as painfully banal as these.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung
Dreams unfulfilled, graduate unskilled
It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten
The ones who love us best are the ones we'll lay to rest
And visit their graves on holidays at best
The ones who love us least are the ones we'll die to please
If it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand them

-----------------------------------------

And sometimes I just ain't in the mood
to take my place in back with the loudmouths
You're like a picture on the fridge that's never stocked with food
I used to live at home, now I stay at the house

----------------------------------------------------
A bottle of Chablis, hey now, that ain't no stuff for me
Chateau Timberley, as long as I can't see
Gallo or Muscatel, either one would be just swell
I didn't come here to fight, hey just as long as that ain't white
Now I ain't no connoiseur cat - the conno-sewerkinda sewer rat
Red red wine on Sunday
-------------------------------------------

Jesus rides beside me
and never buys any smokes
hurry up hurry up ain't you had enough of this stuff?
ash tray floors dirty clothes and filthy jokes

----------------------------------------------------

all I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast. :cool:

• Members

Saw 'em live on the Tim tour back in '85 or so and it changed my life. They rocked harder that night than any other band I've ever seen since. The next time I saw them they were {censored}ed up and terrible.

Westerberg spoke for the thousands of disillusioned outsider kids better than anyone else did. Banal lyrics? I say tomayto, you say tomahto. But tomayto is right:

Big town's got its losers,
small town's got its vices,
Got a handful of friends,
One needs a match and one needs some ice.

The word play is genius and the emotion is from the gut. There's a reason Westerberg is considered by many to be a great songwriter.

Too bad they kicked Bob out, though...

• Members

Originally posted by roygbiv

Saw 'em live on the Tim tour back in '85 or so and it changed my life. They rocked harder that night than any other band I've ever seen since. The next time I saw them they were {censored}ed up and terrible.

Westerberg spoke for the thousands of disillusioned outsider kids better than anyone else did. Banal lyrics? I say tomayto, you say tomahto. But tomayto is right:

Big town's got its losers,

small town's got its vices,

Got a handful of friends,

One needs a match and one needs some ice.

The word play is genius and the emotion is from the gut. There's a reason Westerberg is considered by many to be a great songwriter.

I had similar experiences seeing them live. Except the first time was awful and the 2nd time was possibly the best rock n roll show I've ever seen. Then I saw them on the "Don't Tell a Soul" tour a third time which was kinda sad. Because they were competent and polished by then and had lost all of the danger and passion. But yeah. If Tom Waits is in awe of you chances are your a pretty good {censored}in' songwriter. Bob was a tragic character....

• Members

I really like them. I still think that the stuff they put out is better than most anything you hear on the radio today. I am more of a fan of the later stuff. All Shook Down is my favorite from them. And the Westerberg solo stuff is very good too. If I could just write something like "The Last" I would be a happy man.

• Members

Originally posted by roygbiv

My band got to open a few shows over the years for those guys. Yes, Bob was a tragic character and it didn't take too long talking to him to figure it out either. They weren't making tons of money when they pooled their resources and sent him through the Hazeldon clinic only to have him get {censored}ed up the same day he completed his treatment. I do think they lost their unpredictability after Slim came on board though. Paul was also cleaning his act up too and developed a pretty good "drunk/coked act" after the "Pleased to Meet Me" tour. I think the tour with Tom Petty pretty much killed 'em. That's the last time I saw any of 'em as a band. They came out in make-up and played for about 25 minutes a full hour and a half before Petty. They rambled through some blues numbers and screwed around acting inebriated for most of it and then did "Can't Hardly Wait", "Bastards of Young" and "Alex Chilton" as tight as I've ever heard 'em and walked off stage. I spoke to Tommy a few months ago. He's still a prick.

• Members

i don't think it's possible for me to hate a band more than i hate the replacements. painfully banal lyrics sung in a craggy out of tune voice over sloppy three chord tunes. also, i hold them accountable for every crappy drunk bar band they have influenced.

Suddenly I feel very good about you hating my music.:D

• Members

Suddenly I feel very good about you hating my music.

totally fine. nobody loves everything. i'm sure you would hate my band for it's conspicuous lack of lyrics, or even vocals for that matter. the replacements for some reason fill me with complete hatred because they represent so many things about bands that i don't like (the whole drunken bar band image, "heartfelt" lyrics, sloppy musicianship). as i said earlier...to each their own.

• Members

totally fine. nobody loves everything. i'm sure you would hate my band for it's conspicuous lack of lyrics, or even vocals for that matter. the replacements for some reason fill me with complete hatred because they represent so many things about bands that i don't like (the whole drunken bar band image, "heartfelt" lyrics, sloppy musicianship). as i said earlier...to each their own.

Howsabout postin' some lyrics you like?

• Members

i'm not a fan of music with lyrics and singing. i have never had that experience that people speak of when they feel like the person is singing "to them". the bands i like that have vocals, i think, would be better if they shut up.
...but, if pressed for an answer, i like scott walker's lyrics.

Archived