OT _ Upset With Bad Cat Amplification Comapny

• Members

I have a Hot Cat 30 and the standby switch went bad on me. Now I bought this used so I'm not complaining about the product whatsoever. One of the best sounding amps I've played thru. In fact -I gigged with it several times and took nothing else with me.

The problem is with their customer service.

This runaround has been going on for some time now. I emailed them wanting to order a replacement standby switch. I admitted I was not the original owner - but loved the amp -and needed to order a replacement standby switch. I can still use the amp - but it's always on. These things run hot enough that it's not unusual to have to replace tubes in these amps perhaps a little more often than class AB amps for example -and that's not cheap.

Cool so far.

James emailed me back and told me I would have to call them on the phone and give them my credit card info ($12.95 each) no biggy -so even though it's long distance -I called them the next day. Got an answering machine. Left a message and my home phone number.

Waited a couple weeks -heard nothing. Tried to call them again. Got an answering machine again. Left another damn message.

My suggestion when you're selling amps of this caliber and cost is to HAVE AN AVAILABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON AVAILABLE AT LEAST DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS TO ANSWER THE DAMN PHONE.

It shouldn't take weeks to try to reach a company to place a damn order for a replacement switch. Meantime -the Bad Cat stays home. Sad really. :(

• Members

I know James was in Japan for a while recently, but it does take him around a week to return e-mails. I've sent a few. While I would say their customer service isn't bad, it isn't good either.

I e-mailed Phil from Matchless with some questions and he responded within the hour most times. I now play a Matchless SC-30.

• Members

If worst comes to worst I would pm this guy: fit2-btied

He doesn't work at Bad Cat but is supposed to be friends with the owner. Maybe he could help get the guy's attention.

It sucks when you are trying to do the right thing and they won't let you. Same thing with ((echo)) and the Angela website thing. :(

• Members

I'm a BadCat dealer, and I can tell you that these guys are always difficult to get ahold of. To make things worse, James contracts out most of the sales-related business to a different guy in Boston. He isn't the most prompt person either, so if a question needs to go through both of them for some reason, it can take two or three weeks to get an answer.

Having said that, their products do sorta kick ass.

• Members

My Hot Cat has been very unreliable, broken more than once. The first time I sent it to bad cat and had pretty much the same issue-- impossible to get James on the phone, they had my amp for 3 months to do a simple repair, too. The upside is they only charged me $30.

• Members
Originally posted by riffdaddy

I get the feeling that they're just overworked, but probably can't afford to hire someone else just yet. Growth can be painful for a small business.

You're probably right and I shouldn't be so upset over the little things but the amp is one kick ass tone machine and it pisses me off that I can't put it on standby - now I feel silly. :o

• Members
Originally posted by mumford

My Hot Cat has been very unreliable, broken more than once. The first time I sent it to bad cat and had pretty much the same issue-- impossible to get James on the phone, they had my amp for 3 months to do a simple repair, too. The upside is they only charged me $30.

Ouch - I don't like to read that. I bought mine used for $1600 so I got a good deal I guess - but if I had bought this new and was having this problem I probably would be all over CNN by now...

:D

Three months without the amp is ridiculous. :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by turtleheadblues

If you can afford full page color ads in Vintage Guitar you should be able to afford someone for 9 bucks an hour to answer the phone and take care of phone calls.

Or do like Keeley and hire your family! :thu:

Let's hear it for Keeley!!! :cool:

It's customer service like Keeley's that makes this look worse than it probably is. :wave:

• Members

I'm a BadCat dealer, and I can tell you that these guys are
always
difficult to get ahold of. To make things worse, James contracts out most of the sales-related business to a different guy in Boston. He isn't the most prompt person either, so if a question needs to go through both of them for some reason, it can take two or three weeks to get an answer.

Having said that, their products do sorta kick ass.

Are you a Matchless dealer also???? I am about to buy another SC-30 (well my insurance company is buying a replacement for the stolen one).....i would love to swing some business yo way!

• Members

man, I know how it must be, 7 months ago, I wrecked the bypass toggle on my Mark I and figured it would be difficult to get a replacement from Mesa Boogie, I drove around miles and miles to numerous shops for a whole day and finally, went into a sewing machine shop and showed them the switch (a big carling toggle) and the old lady pulled out a box full beautiful NOS toggles and it turned out to be just the same size and type and it was only 5 minutes from where I live ...
I was so happy I ran out the shop, jumped into my car and started yodeling (but that was because my finger got stuck in the door)

• Members

I get the feeling that they're just overworked, but probably can't afford to hire someone else just yet. Growth can be painful for a small business.

Sad, but true.

I feel for you Rev!

I feel for them...I so know that feeling. HATE IT!

=[

Let me know if there is anything I can do? Want me to call?

Archived