Korg Micro X - 1st impressions (long review)

Karma1

• Members

As far as the LCD screen, I'm sure Korg spent a lot of time developing it in their laboratory, but in real life, it just sucks. Maybe it's good on a dark stage if you have eagle vision, but using it in my studio in daylight is not good. Besides the red back light, the screen is just too small for that much information - the characters are tiny, especially in category mode.

But once again, although I've got some issues with the Micro X, it's incredible for what it is and I'm very happy with it.

They seem to be into stealing little things from Elektron. I remember hearing that Korg met with the elektron guys. The radias seems to look very Elektron like to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

I have to agree that the Micro X is over-priced for what it is. Especially since the build quality is not as good as other Korg synths, in my humble opinion. I think around $450 - $500 would be about right. I bargained a bit with my local store and got it for $600. However, as far as the insert effects issue, it may be lacking compared to the Triton, but it still sounds fantastic. I have some issues with the Micro X, but the sound is not one of them.

With regard to the question about the Micro X compared to the microKorg, they are totally different synths and there is no comparison other than the physical size. The microKorg is based on the sound engine of the MS2000 and only has 4 note polyphony. The Micro X is basically a baby Triton, although a bit stripped down. There are many other differences too numerous to go into.

As far as the LCD screen, I'm sure Korg spent a lot of time developing it in their laboratory, but in real life, it just sucks. Maybe it's good on a dark stage if you have eagle vision, but using it in my studio in daylight is not good. Besides the red back light, the screen is just too small for that much information - the characters are tiny, especially in category mode.

But once again, although I've got some issues with the Micro X, it's incredible for what it is and I'm very happy with it.

I'm not saying the microX sucks, I wanted it for about a month before I started looking at other synths. I threw one of the ST chorus samples through a random filter insert effect and melted at the results. Even the guy at Sam Ash waited until everyone was out of the room and asked me "what the {censored} did you do?"

I just think $650 is way too much for it. It'll come down one day, and when it does, I might consider it again. But right now, I'd say 25% of the price is directly related to hype and the fact that it's new and designed for laptop musicians. 37 keys and the pitch bend/ mod wheels on top left like the X-50 and Alesis QS series and the screen+ other buttons shoved to the right a bit more would improve the design much, much more.

• Members

Originally posted by Nikolai

I just think $650 is way too much for it. It'll come down one day, and when it does, I might consider it again.

I can relate - that's my thinking on the Roland V-Synth. I would love to get one, but they are not in my budget at the moment. But in a year or so, I'm sure I'll be able to find a used one for a fraction of the current price.

As far as the Micro X, while it's overpriced, for me the main factor was that I've never seen a synth of that size with the quality of sound that it has. Having access to the Triton sound engine in a very compact and portable package was exactly what I was looking for.

• Members

Too bad they didn't have the balls to put the full effects in it.

If it had that, I'd say $650 was a bargain and I'd probably be getting one. (Hell, I might pay even a little more 'cause I love the size -- though that's actually a drawback, too; it's pretty big for a two-octave synth. Couldn't they have put it on a diet first?)

As it is ...

newhall-pass.jpg

Pass.

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

As far as the Micro X, while it's overpriced, for me the main factor was that I've never seen a synth of that size with the quality of sound that it has. Having access to the Triton sound engine in a very compact and portable package was exactly what I was looking for.

As long as you got what you want that's what matters.

• Members

well for $650 new what do you want?

at least it isn't $1599 or $8499.00 :D

but aside from that i thought about getting one of these myself till my bandmate picked up a triton classic for $600 yesterday with 2 rom expansions. the sooundset in the micro x is fairly nice and the extra sounds above the triton are a good bonus but i already have a good dance oriented board with a 2 octave keybed (micron) so i think i'll get something rackable and interesting instead probably the v-synth xt.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I would really love to get one of these for my home setup. Very unfortunaely, though, Korg does not support Intel-based Macs with their editor software, and haven't even announced if they will in the future. That makes it of much less use with my Macbook Pro, since I would have to edit with that small screen and on-board buttons. Bummer

• Members

If you can find a Bstock or resealed one for about 570$ or so, I dont think you can beat the value.

I dont think it's possible to put together a softsynth library that wasn't boasting 4 gigs of rendered audio with a *lite* sampler engine that gives you nothing more than some envelope control and a filter for the price of one of these. For a person on the start up without a controller either, this makes a great value.

Those are the main reasons I'm buying this. I dont have a controller, I want stock sounds as well as access to a synth engine, since I'm wanting a korg engine for desgining new age type sounds.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

How are the bass patches? I currently use my Moog Voyager Rack for bass sounds but am looking to maybe replace it in my set-up. I use a nice, warm, round bass sound on most songs...almost like a deep fretless. Anything like that stock in the MicroX?

• Members

How are the bass patches? I currently use my Moog Voyager Rack for bass sounds but am looking to maybe replace it in my set-up. I use a nice, warm, round bass sound on most songs...almost like a deep fretless. Anything like that stock in the MicroX?

As I'm sure you're aware, the Voyager and Micro X are completely different beasts, and the answer to this would largely depend upon how picky you are. The Micro X comes with many excellent bass patches, and certainly some that I would describe as warm and round. It simply isn't a Moog analog synth. Most synth enthusiasts, including lots of the people who frequent this board, would likely have a difficult time replacing a Voyager bass with a Micro X. That being said, I doubt that most civilians - non-musician listeners - would ever give a damn or be able to tell the difference between the two anyway.

• Members

As I'm sure you're aware, the Voyager and Micro X are completely different beasts, and the answer to this would largely depend upon how picky you are. The Micro X comes with many excellent bass patches, and certainly some that I would describe as warm and round. It simply isn't a Moog analog synth. Most synth enthusiasts, including lots of the people who frequent this board, would likely have a difficult time replacing a Voyager bass with a Micro X. That being said, I doubt that most civilians - non-musician listeners - would ever give a damn or be able to tell the difference between the two anyway.

Thanks for the reply! What you are saying makes total sense and you are probably right - I am too picky to be satisfied.

So let me ask this then...how are the Wurly's in the MicroX? I am mostly wanting to have a back-up Wurly live in case Logic using Scarbee samples crashes. Right now, I am using a Motif for the purpose of having a back-up Wurly sound and I would love to have a smaller solution. I am considering some sort of rack, but the MicroX is attractive for a variety of reasons. How are the Wurlys?

Thanks!

Archived