Tangram by Tangerine Dream...

• Members

First off - great record. I have been trying to research what instruments they used on that one but it isn't going so well. I know they typically used the modular units (like Phaedra and Rubycon) but I'm trying to figure out if they used a Prophet 5 on Tangram, because the sync leads and brass sounds are so typical P5, and the album was recorded around the time the Prophet was super popular (1980). Any ideas?

• Members

Yep, certainly a lot of Prophet 5. A lot of Roland VP330 choir, Yamaha CP70.. there was a picture on the live Quichotte/Pergamon LP around the same time that showed a lot of gear... also that particular concert was recorded on video too but hasn't been broadcast I don't think...

• Members

ones i know for sure are:

Franke: Prophet 5 Rev2, Rhapsody610 Strings, Korg PE-2000, minimoog, moog modular

Schmoelling: OB-X, minimoog, CP80

Froese: ARP ProDGX, minimoog, wave360, mellotron mkV, vp330

you're right, most brass, filter fm and sync sounds are rev2. most pads/strings/pwm are OB-X, often doubled with PE-2000 (polyphonic ensemble).

whinylittlerunt, here's an in-depth gear analysis/speculation VSE thread on Tangram:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14388&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=8fe0d63e546ddc130ef79a5330b45ac8

• Members

Thanks Clusterchord,

Funny reading how you think Cyclone is uninspiring... to me its their best recording ;)

Then again I never understood what was so great about Phaedra...

Regarding Tangram, its one of those CDs that has some awesome pads on it... I love those dark moments with the low basses and high strings in particular... I never dug those sync lead sounds though....

• Members

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

If whomever sings on it kept his mouth shut it would be greatly improved
:freak:

Y'see I really like the vox for the most part... he (Steve Jolliffe) does some excellent improv with vox and his work with the woodwinds is hard to beat...

Apparently he works with bands like (I think) Eat Static/Ozric Tentacles now..

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

Thanks Clusterchord,

Funny reading how you think Cyclone is uninspiring... to me its their best recording
;)

Then again I never understood what was so great about Phaedra...

Regarding Tangram, its one of those CDs that has some awesome pads on it... I love those dark moments with the low basses and high strings in particular... I never dug those sync lead sounds though....

Wow, something we agree on in tyhe same genre. Yep. cyclone is definitely an awesome entry. I like tangram for the same reasons.

Hyperborea and White Eagle have a couple of awesome melodic padded piece son them that I never get tired of.

Mick

Archived