aussieguitarnut

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My 2c
Slash is a great riff writer!
His melodic solos are exceptional
His 'shredding' sucks - monotanous, repedative and sloppy. Just there for a toss + to show off really.
Such a shame - if he stuck to his strong points he'd be undeniably one of the greats.

He can be a bit of a fashion victim too. I saw him on a tribute to Hendrix's band of gypsies period, being interveiwed after the whole GnR thing. he'd cut his hair, was wearing a beret and had the gayest rose coloured fly gogles on I've seen.
I'm glad to see him back to the top hat and dreds.

overall i'm definately a fan

• Members

Originally posted by Sidd

For new-ish rock bands? I think Queens Of The Stone Age is pretty good... I like Fu Manchu, Foo Fighters aren't too bad.

Honestly, if I want to listen to rock, I'll listen to old rock. I'll listen to Maiden or Van Halen or nice 90's goodness like the Pumpkins.

I think rock these days is pretty much useless. I like current music, but it's mostly more laid back, softer stuff.

These days are bad for rock!!

the 90s were bad for rock too - smashing pumpkins actually did suck just like most bands today suck, like velvet revolver, but slash is the {censored} and so was G'N'R

• Members

Originally posted by Babel2

He can be a bit of a fashion victim too. I saw him on a tribute to Hendrix's band of gypsies period, being interveiwed after the whole GnR thing. he'd cut his hair, was wearing a beret and had the gayest rose coloured fly gogles on I've seen.

I'm glad to see him back to the top hat and dreds.

overall i'm definately a fan

Ok I think of myself as a fairly big Slash fan and have followed every part of his career and I've never seen his hair cut. I could be wrong but I'm thinking I'm not. I'd love to see a pic of this...maybe he had it pulled back but I don't think he's cut it. Slash is the least "fashion victim" type of celebrity I've ever seen. He's always stayed the same. His "look" from the early days of GNR to now is basically the same...

Not that any of this really maters....the music does but I think you're wrong.

• Members

Originally poste by whpprsnpprr

Ok I think of myself as a fairly big Slash fan and have followed every part of his career and I've never seen his hair cut. I could be wrong but I'm thinking I'm not. I'd love to see a pic of this...maybe he had it pulled back but I don't think he's cut it. Slash is the least "fashion victim" type of celebrity I've ever seen. He's always stayed the same. His "look" from the early days of GNR to now is basically the same...

Im with you I have never seen slash with a different look than the one he started out with. Cigarette hangin from his mouth, long curly hair, and a grim as hell top hat. What a bad ass.

• Members

I don't like Slash (and I don't have to), and I suck, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong just because I can't sling with the best of them. Did you know that there are people who don't play the guitar and still hate him? I'd much rather listen to Jimmy Page than Slash, but there are people who would loathe sitting through some of Page's music. That being said, I could listen to some GnR--probably not a whole album or concert--eventhough Slash's playing never really wowed me like some other guitarist I've heard, but VR really sucks. Whenever i've heard that on the radio, which isn't often, I really wish I hadn't.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

I don't like Slash (and I don't have to), and I suck, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong just because I can't sling with the best of them. Did you know that there are people who don't play the guitar and still hate him? I'd much rather listen to Jimmy Page than Slash, but there are people who would loathe sitting through some of Page's music. That being said, I could listen to some GnR--probably not a whole album or concert--eventhough Slash's playing never really wowed me like some other guitarist I've heard, but VR really sucks. Whenever i've heard that on the radio, which isn't often, I really wish I hadn't.

Jimmy Page is good, I agree. But I have only heard VR on radio stations that play new stuff, and if thats the station you are listening to then VR is going to be one of the best things on that station.

• Members
Originally posted by GnR102385

Jimmy Page is good, I agree. But I have only heard VR on radio stations that play new stuff, and if thats the station you are listening to then VR is going to be one of the best things on that station.

There are some classic rock stations around these parts who are incorporating new and newer music in addition to the classics, which is where I heard VR. Its hard to go from hearing {censored} by Cream, Hendrix, and Zep to VR, Metallica, and STP. Not all stations do this, thankfully. And since when did hair metal become classic rock, too? I hate {censored}ing hair metal, and now its on all the time. There's a reason no one listens to those bands anymore, they suck! Note, this does not include obscure music from the 60's and 70's of which I like. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Prehistoricpain

Im really sick of reading about how people think they are soo much better then whoever at guitar. WHO {censored}ING CARES. Music isnt about being better. GOD.

that said, i really like slash.

I love you. Seriously.

but Ashley Simpson still sucks, weather or not she is kinda cute.

• Members

Originally posted by Prehistoricpain

Im really sick of reading about how people think they are soo much better then whoever at guitar. WHO {censored}ING CARES. Music isnt about being better. GOD.

that said, i really like slash.

It's not about who's better. It's about who sucks. There's a {censored}ing difference.

• Members
Originally posted by whpprsnpprr

Yea sorry it was a few years ago and my memory is a bit vague so you're probably right about the hair - whoops. The video is a docco on Hendrix's band of gypsies period. Interviews him and Lenny Kravitz among others
I do remember very clearly though it was a big departure from the GnR look ... and it really looked sad that he had gone to a lot of effort to restyle himself . Like I said - beret and goggles. Might have been his day off but it looked pretty planned.
I feel a bit stupid even caring about fashion enough to mention it - just remember thinking at the time he'd lost the plot a bit and needed to stick to his guns (no pun intended ;) )

• Members
Originally posted by whpprsnpprr

Cool. I'd still love to see it...maybe I'll look for it on Bearshare or whatever...unless it's for sale?

I saw it on free to air TV - sorry I cant help you there. Great docco though - made me go and buy Band of Gypsies. Great music!!

• 15 years later...
  • Members

Yes, "Slash" is laughable as a guitar player.  Most importantly, he has no tone.  He also shows embarrassingly inconsistent coordination between pick and fret hands, is neither intuitive nor inventive, has no melodic sensibility, has apparent knowledge of only an amateur-level number of different licks, seems to be able to only "connect the dots" and "play in boxes," is derivative at best and has no "signature" anything - he may as well be the annoying high school kid across the street who won't stop that annoying noisemaking.  As a guitar playing person, "Slash" is utter garbage.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived