slash sucks

aussieguitarnut

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by aussieguitarnut

just watching some uk music hall of fame shenanigans on tv. they do a cool little spot on hendrix and launch into a tribute. the band did 'hey joe' and slash just absolutely butchered it with a ten minute solo that bored everyone including the band.

didn't he do same with knockin' on heavens door once?

i hate those pretentious rock covers.

• Members

Slash can play the hell out of a guitar. His bends are right up there with David Gilmour in the accuracy league.
I'm not a big fan per se but I do appreaciate great guitar playing and he's got it. He also has a sense for exactly what's needed in a tune and not flashing over what's needed. This is very hard for a great lead guitarist to do usually ego gets the better of them. Not Slash.
I'm thinking the producers of the show asked him to go over the top on the one you saw.

• Members

Actually... I guess I am a fan of his. I never listen to GNR deliberately. These years later when I hear slash's playing on the radio I'm like Damn that guy can play. His solos are great rock solos and he plays rythmn guitar very well. He also has great tone.

So w,w,w what sucks about him.

• Members

I missed that bit, but joined just in time for the Pink FLoyd section!

The last tune of the night was a big jam of the Buzzcocks "ever fallen in love" that had Jamie "I'm a twat" Cullum playing piano on it. Made me want to break his fingers or pull them out slowly one by one whilst shouting at him:
"Now {censored}ing try and ruin a Hendrix song. Go on. Try. ha. you can't, cos you ain't got no {censored}ing fingers left!!!!"

*Rant over*:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by jhall

Slash can play the hell out of a guitar. His bends are right up there with David Gilmour in the accuracy league.

I'm not a big fan per se but I do appreaciate great guitar playing and he's got it. He also has a sense for exactly what's needed in a tune and not flashing over what's needed. This is very hard for a great lead guitarist to do usually ego gets the better of them. Not Slash.

I'm thinking the producers of the show asked him to go over the top on the one you saw.

if whats needed in a song is ten minutes of aimless rubbish then he is the king. it looked like he was just trying to get himself in the hall of fame - everyone else in the band looked exhausted and confused. only brian may in the front row seemed to appreciate what was going on - although i think he just trying to be encouraging.

• Members

if whats needed in a song is ten minutes of aimless rubbish then he is the king. it looked like he was just trying to get himself in the hall of fame - everyone else in the band looked exhausted and confused. only brian may in the front row seemed to appreciate what was going on - although i think he just trying to be encouraging.

That was his lowest moment... he rocks otherwise

• Members
Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

OK, am I going crazy here? Slash has written some kick ass songs, right? Holy {censored}, it's like the whole world has taken crazy pills. Angus Young pretty much sticks to first position bangers when he writes songs and he plays his fair share of pentatonics, but nobody ever denies that kicks ass. Slash is no different. It is Rock 'n Roll.

Hey, the forum is no place for sane & rational thoughts and posts...!!!

That said - I couldnt agree anymore......
:thu:

• Members

ok - what i should have said is 'slash sucked' - no one could dispute that the thing he did on the show i watched was abysmal. fair play if you like him but sheesh the boy shouldn't play hendrix tunes.

Slash sucked that day or that song? Yeah, he has a penchat for being absolutely horrible live at times....Prolly drugs & alcohol.....But thats part of the allure....The whole fine line between genius & stupidity.....Fine line between great and sucking when you laying it all out on the line - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt....

For Slash - it doesnt happen alot.....But he can sit there and do something that is absolutely horrible sounding and someone like Les Paul comments - you are missing the point - listen to the soul in that.....Makes ya wonder sometimes.....

• Members

I saw Velvet Revolver on TV yesterday and the song, "Fall to pieces", the playing and especially the very out-of-tune whiney vocals sucked seriously BAD.
The stupid quasi-nazi uniform of Scott Weiland did not help, neither the guitar playing by Slash, totally without any surprises.

Why do I bother writing this ....................

186.jpg

• Members

Couldn't be more right, sir, you could NOT be more right! Great deductions, I am loving it people!

are you:

a) taking drugs
b) in the midst of a life changing religious experience
c) mental
d) naturally high on life

whatever it is keep it up - the world needs more people like you :thu: :thu:

• Members

are you:

a) taking drugs

b) in the midst of a life changing religious experience

c) mental

d) naturally high on life

whatever it is keep it up - the world needs more people like you

Thank you for asking, but I am only trying to counter the negative vibes from that Green Day thread I started. I'm just balancing the force. You know, keeping the effects forum from sliding over to the Dark Side.

That being said, I thought the 3rd and final Star Wars tied the story together very nicely. Well, done George Lucas, you can now be absolved of the sin known as Jar Jar Binks. (I will never understand why he put a kangaroo with down's syndrome in his movie)

I think I'm a little mental too, so I guess "c". :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by threm

I saw Velvet Revolver on TV yesterday and the song, "Fall to pieces", the playing and especially the very out-of-tune whiney vocals sucked seriously BAD.

The stupid quasi-nazi uniform of Scott Weiland did not help, neither the guitar playing by Slash, totally without any surprises.

Why do I bother writing this ....................

186.jpg

Holy Schtick!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Members

Thank you for asking, but I am only trying to counter the negative vibes from that Green Day thread I started. I'm just balancing the force. You know, keeping the effects forum from sliding over to the Dark Side.

That being said, I thought the 3rd and final Star Wars tied the story together very nicely. Well, done George Lucas, you can now be absolved of the sin known as Jar Jar Binks. (I will never understand why he put a kangaroo with down's syndrome in his movie)

I think I'm a little mental too, so I guess "c".

good stuff. you have done a magnificent job. remember, i started this thread trash talking the performance of one of the world's most popular guitarists and now here we are developing a beautiful friendship. who would of thought! :thu:

i'd prefer not to talk about jar jar if thats ok.

• Members

good stuff. you have done a magnificent job. remember, i started this thread trash talking the performance of one of the world's most popular guitarists and now here we are developing a beautiful friendship. who would of thought!

Just goes to show you. Never underestimate the power of the Force. Truely wise words, indeed.

i'd prefer not to talk about jar jar if thats ok.

Duly noted and seconded. Let's also not talk about how the Emperor looked like FrankenBerry after Sammy Jackson Light Saber lightning zapped him. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Slash has written some of the best guitar riffs and solos in Rock N Roll, and he always plays with emotion. Who gives a damn if he just plays in the pentatonic all the time his solos still sound great. He is my personal favorite on the guitar, I know there are guys that are better but that doesnt make Slash bad. Slash is not a faggot, he has not ever had dedicated lessons, and you suck for thinking otherwise, although all the Star Wars talk rules keep it up.

Archived