OT: I need some advice with school

krazeexharhar

• Members

So right now I'm a third year bio student at UCSD...thinking about premed....the current situation si that I have a 2.9 GPA but i brought it up from a 2.4 in two years with no C's last year..

Anyway, this quarter's been going to the {censored}ter for me and I've had a rollercoaster ride emotionally and stresswise due to personal reasons and such...but I haven't been studying as much as I did last year and I come to a point where I'm thinking I should drop a class. I have 3 classes right now, two psych classes and metabolic biochem (I was thinking of doing a double psych major so I was trying out the classes). I'm doing kind of bad in all of them...I'm got a 53/100 on the biochem midterm (the mean was a 66) and so far fo rthe psych classes I got C's on the midterms (I'm not too worried though for them since it's easy to recover...psych101 there's still two midterms left + extra credit, and psych60 the first midterm wasn't really worth a lot of points).

My main question is, should I drop the biochem class and retake it next quarter? I have two W's on my transcript as of right now, so it would add a third. I'm really behind in this class. I talked to academic advising but they weren't much help. And should I drop my psych major and do a minor instead? Because I heard med schools don't even care about nonscience classes. I'm really taking it so that I could stay 5 years to space out my bio classes which are pretty tough.

I know I'm gona get a lot of people saying that I won't make it ot med school and such cuz my GPA is too low and stuff, but honestly, this is what I"m going to stick with so I need to try to make this work.

So this is a dilemma I"m faced with at the moment.

• Members

I wound up having to take an extra year of undergrad to fill in a minor at the last minute, which gave me time to re-take several classes and improve my GPA tremendously. So that's always an option.

It's really worth it to do that, because it may suck to spend another year or two in college, but if you graduate with a crummy GPA, you can't change it later. So you might as well stick it out and do the best you can. If your GPA won't get you in to med school, then it's all sort of a total waste.

As far as your specific classes now, I say do what you feel you have to. I know those bio classes are hard, but 3 classes is a really light load. And I'm pretty sure med school doesn't get easier as you go.

Unless they're all lab classes, that wouldn't have even allowed me to be a full time student at the college I attended.

• Members

My best advice would be to try to speak to some people in med school or look into med school admissions information at some of the school's you might be interested in to see what they have to say.

If it was me and I didn't think I could handle the workload due to personal reasons, I would probably drop the class, and this is what I did once in school. It was a great decision for me because it gave me enough relief to get mys elf togetherr where I could really get full back into school. To me your own personal physical and mental health is the priority over academic success.

That being said, if your number one priority right now is going to med school, then how the situation affects working towards med school seems to be the best way to go. Look at some of the web pages for the med schools your thinking about and see if they have anything to say about taking W's or repeating classes. If that doesn't help try emailing some of their admission counselors. I think people familiar with med school will be able to help you more than others in making this decision.

• Members

Med School's really selective ... a 2.9 or anywhere near it isn't gonna get you through the front door. I know I'd like to think that the doctor cutting into me and removing my spleen is a really smart guy....

My advice is to switch gears and major in Golf Course Mgmt ....

Or, if you have your heart set on med school, try applying to one in Costa Rica or Grenada ....

• Members

Like, my first year was {censored}ty because I didn't really have direction, so all I did was play...

So last year I kicked things into gear and started studying and my grades went up.

But I think i burned out a bit...I had to work all summer becuase my parents couldn't afford to pay the apartment here (sending my sister to east coast for college) so I guess I'm kinda tired. I'm still working rite now, too.

I'm not planning on changing majors...I guess it's more important that I do well in this bio class than the psych classes.

• Members

You're only halfway through the semester, right? Talk to your profs about what you need to do to pull up your grade to an A in each class. Then figure out a way to do it.

You're over halfway through college now. If fatigue is keeping you from being sharp, your residency is going to destroy you, and take down a couple patients in the process.

You have Thanksgiving weekend to get your {censored} together. No more excuses, no surfing the web asking guitar players to help you through college. If you want to be a doctor for the rest of your life, start spending the rest of your life devoted to medicine. NOW. If you don't get straight As either this or next semester, you're going to have to really rethink everything.

It's not too late, but you're out of time. You did all the slacking you will get to do in college. You're done now. Get your ass working and get As in everything you're taking, because it's going to get harder from here and you need to be prepared for that.

• Members

Man, your thread really is striking a chord with me too, I moved to SD figuring I'd get a band going, go to school full time and work almost full time too, and there is no way it's possible with all the other social activities I want to get done.

I'm at Mesa, so my classes have way less homework, than at UCSD, so I feel for you, but get your {censored} together.

I changed my dreams of what my life would be like, I hardly practice playing anymore, I'm thinking about selling my Tele so I don't have to work as much, and I basically just work on my DIY Champ build when I set aside the time.

Get off the internet, stop using myspace and facebook and HC for your fun time, go do real {censored} with real people, and separate your time into real distinct blocks.

From 1-3 study bio, from 3-5 study trig, or whatever, and don't deviate from that. If you sit on the comp and lie to yourself and say you are studying at the same time as you have your axe in your hand with the amp on, you aren't going to remember {censored}.

Buck up, you'll be done soon enough, then you'll get paid enough to buy all your missing gear back, and have some time to play it.

• Members

I was surprised to read that UCSD was ranked around 22 in the world for universities.

I did some extension courses there, but I guess that doesn't count. I was born a state college schmuck and I guess I'll die a state college schmuck.

But do you ever check out the classical Indian music program you got going there? I went to watch a student performance once. But I'd like to see Kartik Seshadri perform solo which I missed a couple weeks ago.

What a beautiful place to go to school. You spoiled mutha f*kr

Hey, there's always Hollywood Upstairs medical academy. Or Puerto Rico.

I think it's time there was a SD HC FX get together.

• Members

Originally posted by krazeexharhar

Like, my first year was {censored}ty because I didn't really have direction, so all I did was play...

So last year I kicked things into gear and started studying and my grades went up.

But I think i burned out a bit...I had to work all summer becuase my parents couldn't afford to pay the apartment here (sending my sister to east coast for college) so I guess I'm kinda tired. I'm still working rite now, too.

I'm not planning on changing majors...I guess it's more important that I do well in this bio class than the psych classes.

Yeah i can relate to that. I'm just winding up my 4th year of a 5th year combined law degree and last semester got the worst results I had throughout the entire degree. The novelty has definately worn off and my heart wasn't in it anymore. I decided to push back all my law subjects this semester and focus on finishing my Arts degree, let myself to feel like I have actually accomplished something in the past for 4 years, overcome that feeling of endlessly wading through textbook after textbook and seemingly never get to the end of the damn thing. I think I'm more rejuvenated for next year doing this.

• Members

Yeah, I would say you really need to get your {censored} together. If you're going to be a doctor, you probably can't be a musician as well. This is why I'm becoming a poet. I can play guitar or die or whatever the {censored} and nobody will give a {censored}. I'm actually not doing that well this semester either. I think I have an A in one class and a C in the rest, so I really need to buckle down and get my {censored} together as well. So its not just you. I'm really getting burnt on school. I don't know what your semester is like, but I have about 3 weeks left of this semester, so I need get my ass in the trench. I'm really looking forward to winter break, as I had to take summer school, which burnt me out more than I knew and proved to be somewhat worthless. I got the credits I needed out of it, but I was still 3 credits short of my AA so it did nothing really.

Maybe you could switch to taking one of those psych classes pass/fail. I don't know if you have to do that at the begining or if you can switch, but it might not hurt to find out. Doing a dual major seems like a lot of work, and if it won't help you get into med school, make it a minor or drop the classes. I don't know how many hours you have, but if you don't have a full load or are not worried about being a full-time student, then maybe drop the hardest pscyh class (or both of them) and concentrate on the bio class. Actially do the homework and the reading assignments. I know it might seem boring, but you'll never make it through med school if you don't do the work. So I guess it really depends on what your priorities are. Being realistic now (and not just going for med school because its what you want) could probably save you a bunch of money, time, and frustration. If you want to sit around all day and be on HCEF and play guitar, maybe consider changing your degree to English or Philosophy.

Archived