Boss SD-1 Mods

danielsale

• Members

Not sure I have licence to repeat this but it was published on a public website supposedly with Indy's blessing....any compaints from indy and i'll take it down. Take out your soldering iron and save yourself some money.

SD-1 to FD-2 mod

From the man himself:

Here's the exact mod in case any of you folks want to give it a try:

Chris Leuzinger (of Garth Brooks fame, nashville session cat) had the fulldrive 2 and a/b'd my sd-1 with it. He then said he liked it better than his fulldrive.

Anyway, here is the exact mod -- its very simple:

Location --------Mod value

C2 ---------------.022 uf

C3--------------- .1 uf

R6---------------- 2.2K resistor

C6 ----------------.022 uf

C10 --------------1 uf film

D4 ------------Germ. And 1n4001 series

D5 ------------1n4001

D6 ------------Germ. And 1n4001 series

Note: Germ implies 1n34a germanium diode.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Not sure I have licence to repeat this but it was published on a public website supposedly with Indy's blessing....any compaints from indy and i'll take it down. Take out your soldering iron and save yourself some money.

SD-1 to FD-2 mod

From the man himself:

Here's the exact mod in case any of you folks want to give it a try:

Chris Leuzinger (of Garth Brooks fame, nashville session cat) had the fulldrive 2 and a/b'd my sd-1 with it. He then said he liked it better than his fulldrive.

Anyway, here is the exact mod -- its very simple:

Location --------Mod value

C2 ---------------.022 uf

C3--------------- .1 uf

R6---------------- 2.2K resistor

C6 ----------------.022 uf

C10 --------------1 uf film

D4 ------------Germ. And 1n4001 series

D5 ------------1n4001

D6 ------------Germ. And 1n4001 series

Note: Germ implies 1n34a germanium diode.

hey man thanks for the info -

question though. the way you have that typed out, do i just find C2 location and pull that out and change that to a .022 uf? then do the same for each?

ive not looked inside the SD1 yet but id like to smooth it out a tad and do something about that bass-loss. how hard of a project would you rate this as? ive got a 30watt iron and fooled around with pedals in the past.

• Members

Originally posted by danielsale

Ok.

I read some reviews which suggest the SD-1 will not overdrive the tone as much as I'd like it to. I'm wanting to either overdrive or distort the rhythm channel of my 5150 combo so that I can go from clean to dirty. Any suggestions?

Well how much do you want it to distort? I find the sd-1 works best as a boost, with the level up and gain down just pushing the front end of an amp. I usually put it in front of an amp that's already distorting though, so to smooth out and compress the sound a bit more and give it a tighter chunkier sound.

The 5150 has a how many channels though, at least two right? couldn't you just set up both channels how you want them and just use a footswitch? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

question though. the way you have that typed out, do i just find C2 location and pull that out and change that to a .022 uf? then do the same for each?

Yep

Originally posted by fishfartz

ive not looked inside the SD1 yet but id like to smooth it out a tad and do something about that bass-loss. how hard of a project would you rate this as? ive got a 30watt iron and fooled around with pedals in the past.

Don't own a SD-1, so i've never done it. Just saved it when I found it for future reference. Looks pretty simple to me, just replacing components, not adding to the circuit in any sense.

• 1 month later...

Archived