Who uses or tried a Boss DD-2 delay?

porsch8

• Members

Originally posted by Kriegsemann

they are the same pedal. They just got reissued cheaper and with a new name, I believe.

If I am wrong, someone put me in my place!

nothing wrong here,

but

the first DD2'sused the same chip as the SDE-3000 rackmount delay, after the boss engineers found out they could horizontally squeeze it into a compact pedal, but then realised the peripheral ciccuits wouldn't fit and had to put them in breadth wise and they put the other components around it either in front or behind and all around the chip. THe DD-2 is the first compact digital delay. These early DD-2 series with the wide chip sound remarkably good, at least to my ears, the later DD-3's were the same as the DD-2's but used a different chip, and they weren't' the first, they were third I think

:confused:

• Members

I use a DD-2 and like it. Serves my needs very well. I got lucky and got a good deal that I couldn't pass up on mine.

It seems that some people think the DD-2 is worth a premium since they are no longer made. Don't buy into it.

• Members

I had a boss dd-2, an early made in japan dd-3, and newer dd-3. The dd-2 and japan dd-3 are identical, and in my opinion the best sounding of Boss's digital delays. My opinion of course. The newer made in taiwan DD-3 is also good, but I don't think it's as warm sounding as the MIJ versions. If you can get a good deal on a dd-2 I would grab it, but I wouldn't pay anymore for it than a dd-3.

• Members

Originally posted by 89strat

I had a boss dd-2, an early made in japan dd-3, and newer dd-3. The dd-2 and japan dd-3 are identical, and in my opinion the best sounding of Boss's digital delays. My opinion of course. The newer made in taiwan DD-3 is also good, but I don't think it's as warm sounding as the MIJ versions. If you can get a good deal on a dd-2 I would grab it, but I wouldn't pay anymore for it than a dd-3.

Pretty much sums it up

I have a MIJ DD3 and my dad has a DD2 and I think they sound identical.

• Members

You could ofcourse also 'warm up' a MIT DD-3 with the analog mod toggleswitch.

I did mine with a 3-way toggleswitch.

The lowest position I called 'tape', as it had some high-end roll off, but not as heavy as an Ibanez AD9 or something.

The middle position is the original DD-3 sound (clear repeats).

And the up-position is called 'analog' and sounds VERY warm ( I used a 1uF cap there!) and mushy.

See attachment

• Members

The DD-2 and first issue DD-3 are the same, and sound very analog because the only difference between them and the DM-2/3 is that the delay signal is digital and not from a BBD. The surrounding circuitry is identical, down to the NE570 Companders for noise reduction.

DD-2 is a great pedal, and for some reason has never really gone up in value. I got mine MIB for around

Archived