Small low-wattage amps that sound good registry

MIDIstruction

• Members

After having taken a nice year-long break, I am preparing to return to electric guitar, and embrace all of the gas and insecurity issues that go along with it.

I'm trying to be responsible and try not to dive head first into debt right off the bat, so I hope to keep the initial investments only moderately stupid. I thought a good way to do this would be to get a small, low-wattage amp that sounds good at bedroom levels..

I recall getting pretty excited about that tiny Brian May signature Vox amp a few years ago, but I've heard it blew. That Nano is really neat but I seriously think I'd break it, and that's way too much for something I'm almost certainly going to destroy. I've heard mixed things about Blues Jrs, and have yet to play one myself. My local guitar shop really doesn't stock many quiet amps, which I used to appreciate ..

Anyway, yeah, so if you know of any models that fall into this broad category of "good-sounding low-wattage amps" you'd like to suggest I would be so thankful.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I just wish he used regular tubes. Ones that I could swap out easily.

Hell, why didn't you say so :D

How about I get him to make you one that you can put any octal based power tube in. I have one here and it kicks serious ass. Imagine a Univalve, but way cooler.

Drop me an email if you want some more info.

• Members
Originally posted by Klisk

I want the Fuzz wuz..
:D

Nate has stopped advertising that model to concentrate on one or two products only instead of numerous. That being said, at least for the time being, I can still get one made for you.

• Members

I recently picked up a 12w Fender Musicmaster Bass amp for around half the cost of a S/H Blues Jr, which I also own. They're comparable tonewise IMO, even before i've done the necessary speaker swap and input mods to the MM. Stock the BJr is probably the better amp but i've heard the MM becomes a neat little amp after the few simple mods. I'd recommend picking up one of these that over a new BJr.

• Members

Originally posted by sh333

I have been selling quite a lot of these.

I don't think they can be beat for tone vs. money.

If you have any interest I can hook you up with one.

As much as I would like to squelch the darned GAS flames that Scott regularly fans my way... These amps do look freaking cool...................................................... SCOTT!!!! WHY!?!?!?!

• Members
Originally posted by catalinbread

As much as I would like to squelch the darned GAS flames that Scott regularly fans my way... These amps do look freaking cool...................................................... SCOTT!!!! WHY!?!?!?!

Why!?!?!?

Because I am pure and unadulterated evil, of course :evil::D

I enjoy the torturing also.

• Members

As mentioned above, that VOX Pathfinder is pretty good sounding. It has a couple of clipping LEDs inside that would have looked real cool poking through the front panel. ;) I had bought my Son one (trem only, no reverb) along with a short-scale Strat when he turned 5 over eight years ago. He couldn't destroy it and is still trying! :thu: He is actually quite the player/musician, now favoring the Gilmore Jr in his quarters.

• Members

just buy a trace ellior for gods sake!:idea:
v1.gif

1X10 (CELESTION VINTAGE 30)
3 knobs (volume, tone, reverb [not all have it])
fxloop
15watts
class A

i have the twin version (2x10) and it sounds just tonefull, tastefull, elegant...and its not such a common amp......

they sound amazing and since its 15watts you can be a nice bedroom warrior, jam with comfort, and play a gig with a nice mic.....its around 300$

ITS A GIBSON GOLTONE WITHOUT THE PRICE TAG!!!!

• Members

the dean markley wattman is a really great sounding little 9 volt powered piece of crap that sounds really good and is really surprisingly loud,,,,i've plugged it into a 4x12 before and used it to record and stuff...it's i think just 2 watts, but it's almost loud enough to keep up with a quiet drummer if you're playing rythym.

Archived