YCV-40, love the clean, hate the crunch, recommend pedal

Cougar Hunter

• Members

Okay, so the clean+reverb is to die for with filtertrons on my traynor YCV-40 amp. The distortion channel totally sucks though. I bought it for the clean. I have almost zero experience with pedals. I have a big midi pedal and a 12 space rack with preamps, mixers, power amps, etc.

Which OD/distortion would you recommend me toward? I guess I want a mild, natural overdrive for a tasteful rockabilly/blues sound.

I was thinking:

Blues Driver

tubescreamer

Expandora

Jeckyl and Hyde

Sparkle Drive

Which one would be sweet, or what else would be cool?

• Members

I have a YCV40 too... With the clean channel, for high gain, i definitely love my Zoom HyperLead HL-01 pedal.

If you wanna use the drive channel, either a Boss SD-1 or Ibanez Tubescreamer (i have the cheapo TS7) do the job. I used to play my YCV on top of a Marshall 4x12 cab.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger213

Okay, so the clean+reverb is to die for with filtertrons on my traynor YCV-40 amp. The distortion channel totally sucks though. I bought it for the clean. I have almost zero experience with pedals. I have a big midi pedal and a 12 space rack with preamps, mixers, power amps, etc.

Which OD/distortion would you recommend me toward? I guess I want a mild, natural overdrive for a tasteful rockabilly/blues sound.

I was thinking:

Blues Driver

tubescreamer

Expandora

Jeckyl and Hyde

Sparkle Drive

Which one would be sweet, or what else would be cool?

I had one for a while and I agree. The crunch channel sucks. I'm not an advocate of any of those pedals. The other guitar player in my band has the amp and he uses a Barber Direct Drive loves that amp

• Members

^How much is that thing? (power screamer)

It looks like something quiet riot would have.
:)

Mine is a few years old, back when they were $150. Now that Joel's getting famous they've gone up about $30.

Try Richie Blackmore instead of Quiet Riot. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Stonedtone

I had one for a while and I agree. The crunch channel sucks. I'm not an advocate of any of those pedals. The other guitar player in my band has the amp and he uses a Barber Direct Drive loves that amp

That Barber looks like a pretty good deal @ ~$100 or so.

Has anybody else tried this pedal with the ycv40?

BTW, Quiet Riot was almsot as loud as Yngwie.:thu:

• Members

Nobels ODR-1

Digitech Bad Monkey (no joke)

Keeley BD-2

Subdecay Studios Stupid Box

I used to have a YCV80, and used all of those very succesfully with it. They're all really dynamic, with a very natural, very full, tone. The Keeley and the Stupid Box can both get into the realm of distortion, but the Nobels and Bad Monkey are better-suited for just a lighter overdrive sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Huckleberry

Nobels ODR-1

Keeley BD-2

Subdecay Studios Stupid Box

I used to have a YCV80, and used all of those very succesfully with it. They're all really dynamic, with a very natural, very full, tone. The Keeley and the Stupid Box can both get into the realm of distortion, but the Nobels and Bad Monkey are better-suited for just a lighter overdrive sound.

I friend of mine pick one of those up despite my Effect Snob attitude around him sinking so low. That little cheapy is a pretty good pedal. You do need it out of the chain, but for the money= :thu:

• Members

Man, there's a {censored}load of overdrive pedals. I'm in over my head. THis seems really fun. It also seems easy to waste tons of money searching for the right sound.

Pedals have a huge resale value compared to the rack gear i buy used for 1/10th the retail price.

Chameleon (blackface) - 1100 list,

Ada MP1- $800 list , $150 ebay

etc.

• Members

I only use the clean channel on my YCV-40. These are pedals I have more or less settled on after trying out scores of high-end boutique fellas:

For overall versatility in a fairly transparent dirt pedal, I find nothing that nothing beats a Boss Blues Driver for overdrive and distortion. I prefer this pedal modified, but it's fine in its stock form as well.

For smoother, midrangey light-medium overdrive (Tubescreamer style), I dig the Digitech Bad Monkey very much.

For heavier, tighter distortion (in case you're interested in such), a Proco Rat (I use a Vintage Reissue) and modified Boss DS-1 work wonders.

Finally, I have a Z. Vex Super Duper at the end of my chain. The first channel is always on to drive the amp to the brink of overdrive. The second channel yields a fantastic, raw crunch. All of the above pedals sound terrific without the Vex as well, though.

I mostly use a Fender Telecaster with a Duncan Jerry Donahue pickup in the bridge position and a Bill Lawrence 280 in the neck.

Also: replacing the YCV-40's speaker yields a tremendous improvement in both the clean and overdriven sounds. I use a Celestion Vintage 30 in mine.

• Members

Originally posted by themeanreds

Also: replacing the YCV-40's speaker yields a tremendous improvement in both the clean and overdriven sounds. I use a Celestion Vintage 30 in mine.

I've needed to do the same for a while, but I haven't used the amp THAT much since I bought it. I've been wither playing acoustic or shred.:(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, yeah I've always wondered if it's worth upgrading my Seventy80 speaker for a Vintage 30.

Don't know about the OD channel on the YC40 sucking...I quite like it. It's very mouldable. I run a Sparkle Drive into it to "colour" it and give it more character. Totally love my sound...it's sweet, warm and creamy.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

To make a YCV40 sound fantastic, do this: change the speaker ( I chose an Eminence Private Jack), dump the stock Sovtek tubes -- they suck, I went with Tung-Sol 12AX7's and 5881's but GT6L6GE's sound good too. Install a Weber Beam Blocker. I swear to you, if you do these things, it will change your life!

• Members

I dont know,,,I have a Traynor YCV40 and the overdrive on that sounds real sweet...I use the clean channel for the cleans, overdrive channel for some rhythm work (and throw the boost on for some heavier riffing) and for lead stuff I use either the Barber Direct Drive SS or a Pedalworx McFuzz, they both sound great going through the overdrive channel. If I want a different lead tone I put the Tim Jaurneig Gristle King through the clean channel and damn, if that don't make the hairs on your neck stand up! All in all I find the Traynor a real versatile amp, especially for the price. Mine came with the Vintage 30 speaker, I didn't know they used anything else.

• Members

Dara,

If you have the V30 speaker, then you can skip that step. You must have the YCV40WR (wine red). That model comes with the V30 and the premium wine red covering. If you are happy with the sound I wouldn't change anything. My post was intended for the guys out there who were a little dissapointed with the sound of theirs. However, when the time comes (and it will), my tube reccomendations will hold strong. The beam blocker can help everybody, IMHO.

• Members

I ended up getting a route 66 and a weber michigan.

I'm super happy.

I'll change the tubes when I need to.
:thu:

That was going to be my first reommendation, as the comp will add some life to the Traynor's already great cleans.

And many people forget there's a Boost switch on the crunch channel. Use it!

What exactly does a beam blocker do? And could somecome recommend a pair of 10" replacement speakers suitable for classic rock/blues?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I find the YCV40 gain channel quite good at getting vintage dirt (from smooth bluesy grit to classic rock crunch). It does sound considerably better when cranked though - are you able to open it up when you play?

Also, trying cranking the gain channel volume to 10 , and use the gain knob as volume. This seems to work better for me.

Another thing to try - this amp seems to sound alot better through a closed cab. If you dont have that option, try playing with the amp back near a wall (about a foot or less).

Lastly, keep in mind this is a 6L6 amp, so we can only work in that domain. If the tone in your head is more on the british side, you might need to mod the amp and get some EL34's in there.

Hope that helps!

• Members

I can crank it in medium to large rooms. I'll run it at about 8 on the volume with the gain at 7. If I need more, I have a 2X12 closed back extension cab w/Celestions. That combination (closed and open back together gives you the best of both) sounds beautiful, albeit a bit loud for most situations. Most of the time I just use the Traynor by itself. For small rooms I'll keep the gain on 7 but the volume is turned down to about 3. It works okay like that, but it certainly sounds better turned up! At the lower volumes the tone is less inspiring but acceptable. It allows you to get through the gig and get paid without pissing off anybody.

Archived