Boomerang Plus Phrase Sampler

tele150

• Members

You should define "good or better".

What features are you looking for?

Are you going to use the variable speed functions on the Boomerang? If so, there's not much else out there that does that same thing the way the Boomerang does.

If you're just looking for record, overdub, 1/2 and double speed, reverse, and loop retrigger - then you should probably check out the DL4.

So... yeah... what features are making you drool again?

• Members

For the simple functions you listed, my personal preference is the Line 6 DL-4. They're going to be a little cheaper than the Boomerang Plus (which is what you want, as opposed to the original Boomerang).

eBay prices:

Boomerang Plus - $350 and up

DL-4: $200 and up

You'll probably hear people chime in with a Boss DD-20 recommendation, too. I haven't personally used one yet, so I can't say.

• Members

If you want to be able to store loops go with the Lexicon Jam man or the Boss loop station. The boomerang, to my ears, has better sound quality, doesn't quantize your loops, and is more expensive, so it depneds what you are looking for. I'm very interested in the new mothership looper ls-50 boss it putting out, should be sweet...

• Members

Originally posted by tele150

Thanks for the feedback.

Man, with so much out there now...

It sure has become difficult to make a decision anymore.

I'm with ya. I'm eventually going to put together a comprehensive table with all of the important functions of each looper shown, and supplement it with some written reviews of various loopers (either done by me, or by others).

I'm a loop fanatic, if you couldn't tell :) It seems like I could help folks out on this, so I'm taking it on - one bite at a time.

When you start using loops in a band context, certain things become more important, and I'm going to spend some time on that subject as well.

In the meantime, keep reading and asking yourself what you want to accomplish. There's also some good (although often *dated*) material at Looper's Delight: http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/tools.html

• Members

Originally posted by Island

If you want to be able to store loops go with the Lexicon Jam man or the Boss loop station. The boomerang, to my ears, has better sound quality, doesn't quantize your loops, and is more expensive, so it depneds what you are looking for. I'm very interested in the new mothership looper ls-50 boss it putting out, should be sweet...

FYI - for those keeping score at home, Island means the (hopefully... potentially) upcoming Boss RC-50.

• Members

Hmmm - I dunno about "king of loopers". Even if all of the speculation about the RC-50 (based on the Japanese specs) go the right way, it's still not going to catch up with the EDP or perhaps even the Boomerang. It's not clear - but it looks like there may not even be a "feedback" control on the RC-50, which leaves you with pretty static looping.

There's definitely no insert, no multiply, and no more than 3 loops. :(

Still, I'm interested! I hope they end up with a looper that makes me want to sell my EDP's. I'm just kinda doubtin' it :D

• Members

The Boomerang is the most hands-on easy to use. Live friendly and sturdy built. Has the most basic features; a-b loops, ability to mix full speed - half speed/octave down and forward - reverse.

Sound quality doesn`t have the high resolution of the EDP but the more grainy sound has a certain analoglike quality, so not bad really. The reverse and half speed sound warm and full.

• Members

I have to give a +1 on the Boomerang. I've been using a 'Rang Plus for a few years now and I really like it.

I actually use the lower, "original" sample rate (22khz) because it sounds more warm to my ears. And you get an incredible amount of recording time at that rate.

I find it great that you can control the thing completely with your feet - no knob twiddling required.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey I am looking into a looper and was wandering the thoughts on the Digitech Jamman seems like its alot better then the Boss Rc20 with the ability to store up to 2GB of loops. I was also looking at the boomerang. I am very interested in looping but my problem is justifying the money. I just dont see paying 300 bucks for a pedal is it relaly worth it. i wish someone had a cheaper alternaive to use. And I dont the the Line6 is the answer for me because I want alof of record time and I believe the DL4 is not much time at all. My main thing is to be able to do rhythms live and then do leads over them easily live. Any help is great.

Archived