Zoom UF-1 vs. Zvex Fuzz Factory?

Voodoo Cafe

• Members

So, i've heard around here and on guitargeek that the ultra fuzz is somewhat like a poor man's fuzz factory. Seeing as how i can't afford that damn expensive zvex pedal, how closely can the ultra fuzz do some of the fuzz factory's stuff?

Also, I'm a fuzz virgin, i admit it... Would it be better to start off with another fuzz pedal or this one? My other options are a muff or a fuzzface, really, or boutique clones of those that've been used (da MOAF, Mayo, SunFace, etc). What do you guys think I should do?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i think the comparison comes up because the UF is very versatile, rather than because there is a direct sonic similarity. certainly the UF can mimic *some* effects of the FF, but it really is a different kind of dirt pedal. very good and supremly good value, but on it's own merits, not as a knock-off.

fwiw, I bought a UF after having tried to buy a FF. the UF cost me, new, 13% of the then cost of a new FF in the UK. given the choice, I wish I had both...

• Members

The FF is rude, organic, and fuzz-like in a classic manner. The UF is rude and less organic. It is very versatile and you can do a lot of things with it. The fact that it oscillates and has a gate control is what draws the comparisons. They can both be dialed in to the same kind of sounds that are fundamentally different. I wish the UF was a bit more organic in nature. Still, I love my UF and it will always hold a place on my board.

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Cafe

...Also, I'm a fuzz virgin, i admit it... ...What do you guys think I should do?

best thing would be to clarify what you are looking for out of a fuzz --- picking the right tool for the job kinda thing. especially since there is virtually no sonic similarity between say a muff & a fuzzface.

• Members

the UF is versatile and can do lots of things, but the FF can do everything and more more more ...

but for me, the UF is more than enough. i would never need all those noises the FF is able to offer. so i will keep my UF and play it for the next 20 years and then sell it for ten times as much as i bought it. :D

• Members

I had both the UF and the FF at around the same time - the sound i was looking for was available in the UF, so i sold the FF for much needed money.

they both have some similar sounds - and the FF really does go into wacko territory. but the UF seems to have more "usable" sounds for my thing - so that's why i kept it.

having said that - i think every fuzz fanatic should try the FF at least once.

can't you save your pennies and get the Vexter series Fuzz Factory? it's like, $165 i think.

• Members

Well what I really want is a pedal that adds fatness instead of sharp edges like most distortion boxes, but I find that most muffs are really scooped and sound like garbage in a band, and usually end up having too much low end for anything but leads because it sounds too farty. Any ideas on what I'm looking for here, cause I sure as hell don't know... maybe somewhere in between Voodoo Chile lead tone and Pumpkins, but that's sort of impossible. Oh well. Are there any cheaper alternatives to a really good muff tone, other than a Zero/Mayo/whatever it is now/MOAF ? That {censored} is EXPENSIVE! I wish i wasn't a poor student... What kind of tones can one pull out of an Ultra Fuzz? Cause I have the chance to get one for 90$ (can)new, which is pretty damn good around here.

I don't have anywhere or anyone where I can try a Fuzz factory, and I've tried a dunlop RI FF, and it sucked pretty hardcore. I've only tried a muff once and I was a diehard Pumpkins fan at the time, so I was just sad it didn't make me sound like Billy Corgan.

Thanks guys, any advice is appreciated (And after this, I have to decide on a reverb pedal... god damn GAS)

• Members

Originally posted by StompboxMan

I was highly impressed with the Fuzz Factory and have 5 of them.

Jeez, Stompboxman, are you hoarding them as an investment?

I can't imagine what all five would sound like cascaded :confused::freak:

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Really? Why? I think it's one of the greatest mass-produced pedals of all time.

Agreed. It's flexible, gives a lovely thick sound, is capable of very "musical" fuzzes or all-out oblivion and is pretty easy to tweak. It's also cheap. I can't see a downside to it.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Agreed. It's flexible, gives a lovely thick sound, is capable of very "musical" fuzzes or all-out oblivion and is pretty easy to tweak. It's also cheap. I can't see a downside to it.

downside:

it looks like HAL9000 - i can't leave it on for very long, because then i'm thinking that some strange, calm yet menacing voice will start talking to me out of nowhere.

and then i wake up alone because everyone else is dead.

:bor::cry::freak::wave:

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

i think the comparison comes up because the UF is very versatile, rather than because there is a direct sonic similarity. certainly the UF can mimic *some* effects of the FF, but it really is a different kind of dirt pedal. very good and supremly good value, but on it's own merits, not as a knock-off.

Agree. I wouldn't buy one to replace a Fuzz Factory, but it's a good pedal in it's own right.

• Members

Originally posted by Voodoo Cafe

Also, I'm a fuzz virgin, i admit it... Would it be better to start off with another fuzz pedal or this one? My other options are a muff or a fuzzface, really, or boutique clones of those that've been used (da MOAF, Mayo, SunFace, etc). What do you guys think I should do?

Given your "fuzz neophyte" status, I'd recommend the Zoom UF-01. The Ultra Fuzz will most likely respond more like the distortions to which you may already be accustomed.

• Members

Originally posted by Argali

I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who hesitate to use anything made by Zoom because of bad previous experiences. Old digital Zoom stuff really sounds like {censored}.

I like digital {censored} though.

the ultra fuzz was darker than the fuzz factory but had some really cool sounds. :)

Archived