Anybody try a POD or any multi-effects with a Deluxe Reverb?

Cougarbruin

• Members

Originally posted by -Bong-

How do the high gain models sound?

{censored}. Amp models are for running direct. If you want to get high gain out of a deluxe reverb, get a hi gain distortion pedal and have it modded or mod it. If you are going to run a pod into a DR, you will have to disengage the cabinet modelling (otherwise you will sound like you are playing underwater), and then the pod becomes a not great sounding dirt box, in essence.

A multi effect will work better. A Boss GT-6 or 8, for example, has some good distortion box modelling. the amp sims suck, though, and will suck worse through that amp.

• Members

Originally posted by BIGD

{censored}. Amp models are for running direct. If you want to get high gain out of a deluxe reverb, get a hi gain distortion pedal and have it modded or mod it. If you are going to run a pod into a DR, you will have to disengage the cabinet modelling (otherwise you will sound like you are playing underwater), and then the pod becomes a not great sounding dirt box, in essence.

A multi effect will work better. A Boss GT-6 or 8, for example, has some good distortion box modelling. the amp sims suck, though, and will suck worse through that amp.

I think I more or less already said all of that!

:mad:

;)

• Members

Originally posted by BIGD

I just picked up the latest Guitar World this afternoon. The GT-8 is reviewed. The reviewer played it through a Fender Twin, and said the amp models were stunning through that amp. He gave it high marks.

• Members

Originally posted by -Bong-

I just picked up the latest Guitar World this afternoon. The GT-8 is reviewed. The reviewer played it through a Fender Twin, and said the amp models were stunning through that amp. He gave it high marks.

you can get great sounds out of them through just about anything if you take the time to tweak them and run them properly. i do think they sound not so good through the front end of an amp, but through the return they can kick ass through that poweramp.

• Members

I have a DRRI and a PodXT.

The PodXT has three very useful features that allow you to get a very good distortion sound with just about any amp.

1. Very transparent bypass mode

As others have stated, the Pod's amp models will generally sound '{censored}' when run into a guitar amp. In my experience, they are at their best when recorded or fed into a PA. The answer to this is to select 'Amp 0: No amp'. This will disable all amp/speaker/room/mic modelling.

Once you've done this, you'll find that you're left with a very unaffected sound. I was pleasantly surprised by this when I first tried it. I don't know what's going on internally to the POD (i.e. analogue->digital conversion and whatnot), and frankly I don't care. The crucial point is that the bypass is very clean.

2. Stomp-box models

The PodXT has a some good stomp-box models. I like the 'Classic Distortion'. However, you'll probably find when using any of these distortion/fuzz pedal models with a bright amp like a Deluxe that you've got too much presence and not enough bass. This can be overcome - please read on...

3. Semi-parametric EQ

This very flexible feature can be used to dial out the frequencies you don't want and dial in the ones you want more of. Goodbye fizz, hello thumping low-end.

You don't say whether you already have a Pod or not. If you do, then the answer is 'yes', you can get very useable high-gain sounds putting it in front of your Deluxe (plus some nice delays, reverb, chorus, etc) - without spending any extra cash. If you don't already have a Pod, then you'd be better doing as others have suggested and buying a multi-effects box that is specifically designed for sticking in front of a guitar amp. With a bright amp like a Deluxe, you definitely want to make sure you get something with a flexible EQ on it!

Hope this helps.

Edit: point 1 isn't so crucial for getting a good distortion sound, but important when you want to turn it off, or just add a bit of delay/reverb to your dry clean tone.

• Members

Do you use the DRRI as a gigging amp? Is it loud enough to keep up with a heavy handed drummer and a two guitar band? I'm very intrigued by a single channel amp for some reason and I always liked the way the fenders sound plus a small lightweight amp is pretty cool.

Archived