Maxon od820 in the house!!!

riffpowers

• Members

Originally posted by KjStrat62

It's a nice pedal. I've had maybe 3 of them in the past/ Also a nice boost pedal. Why buy a Klon??

Exactly!!!

All the reviews I read said the maxon sounded better with a les paul than the klon did, so I thought why not??Maxon is a brand I really like, and its a LOT less than the klon.

• Members

i've had my klon for 8 months now, and i couldnt be happier. i've heard the maxon is great for les pauls, but i cant imagine anything sounding better for my tele/jazzmaster than a klon being pushed by a range master. nothing against the maxon, just thought i'd stick up for the klon.

• Members

Originally posted by wacopacco

I also really love teh Maxon brand. They make top notch stuff. My od9 has been on my board for quite some time now.

Me too.I picked up there ph350 phaser and was well impressed with it.I'd have an all maxon rig if they made more pedals!!

• Members

Originally posted by riffpowers

Me too.I picked up there ph350 phaser and was well impressed with it.I'd have an all maxon rig if they made more pedals!!

they um, make {censored}loads of pedals

the 9 series, the real tube series, the vintage series, and the reissue series

• Members

great pickup. I've been playing one for about 2 years now. Love it. you can dial in lots of great sounds on it. i use it with my les paul for some nice crunchy overdrive. Then tweak the tone knob to get smoother fat sounds from it too. I really like it. very versatile as you said.

• Members
Originally posted by GorillaLover

Do you have an opinion on which one seems to have the most open sound/widest frequency response?

My mosferatu is lovely but I can't help but want more..

The Z2 is like haveing a second amp with a button on it. The Gainster will bring out more of your amp tone. The Maxon is fantastic at least.

That would be a hard call...

If I HAD to choose just one it would be the Z2......

:)

• Members
Originally posted by The Gainster

The Z2 is like haveing a second amp with a button on it. The Gainster will bring out more of your amp tone. The Maxon is fantastic at least.

That would be a hard call...

If I HAD to choose just one it would be the Z2......

:)

oh you just had to pick the most expensive one

I guess I need both a Gainster and the Z2 :)

• Members

how is that maxon rotary phaser? i'm curious. is it subtle like a phase 90/shannon phaser or can it get intense? i kind of want something that can cover both, but it definitely needs to have the ability to get intense (and i dont just mean cranking up the speed) :D

• Members

Originally posted by vanguard

i've had my klon for 8 months now, and i couldnt be happier. i've heard the maxon is great for les pauls, but i cant imagine anything sounding better for my tele/jazzmaster than a klon being pushed by a range master. nothing against the maxon, just thought i'd stick up for the klon.

Well I've owned both and still own the Maxon. For straight ahead clean boost into a Fender amp with a strat or tele, I give the slight edge to the Klon. However, with the gain up the Maxon just cleans the Klons clock. Where the Klon gets glaring and somewhat noisy, the Maxon gets ballsy and smooth and doesn't add appreciable noise. I LOVE what the OD-820 does with a strats neck pickup. Of course as others have mentioned the Maxon works well with Les Pauls and other amps. I found the Klon best suited to Fender guitar into Fender amp situation.

• Members

Yes you did tell me so!!!

Just been playing it....I love it.Fat, thick ,transparent sound.When its on you get your sound, but with added smoothness and LOADS of sustain.I've got the tone all the way off, the level full up and the drive up 1/3.Sounds great, its a joy to solo with.Sounds pretty much the same on or off to the untrained ear, but I can hear the volume boost, smoothness, response and sustain, but its such an amplike way it just blends in the the rest of my playing.I can see why some people don't like it, its the kind of pedal that doesn't hit you in the face, it really works with my rig and enhances it rather than giving me a new sound.Responsive and VERY amplike.Everything I've read and heard about it is true.
I can get all the regular tubescraemer sounds out if it too, but the way it fattens up my matamp for solos is just awesome.
:thu:

Yeah the phaser is great too.I probably wouldn't have been so keen to shell out for the od820 if I hadn't been so impressed with the phaser.I bought it cos my phase 100 wasn't phasey enough and I wanted a flanger too.The range that the PH350 covers is staggering, you can go all the way from a tremolo effect right the way through to flange, but without the metallic sound of some flangers.I've got it somewhere in the middle, a nice 70's sounding subtleish slow flange that colours rather than dominates tone.

Now I've gotta get myself a pedal board....

• Members

Originally posted by

We did a shootout sometime ago between the OD820 and the Klon. Both are excellent units, but the OD820 won the shootout for being a bit improved in certain areas of the circuit, as well as its price/performance value.

Hi David

Yse I read that article, it helped me take the plunge!!

Archived