Line 6 FM4 appreciation thread.

papa taco

• Members

Ya know, it goes against my anti "versatile", pro "simplicity" ways, but this pedal is actually very cool. The key is to put a bit of compression after it (in my case a Barber Tone Press set for "fairy dust" ;)). The Seek Wah model isn't great, and therefore I'll get the real ZVex deal and get it tap tempo modded by Cusack, but there's a lot of cool synthy noise in there if you just spin things around and look for it. Fun toy, and believe it or not, you can find some cool useable stuff.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

See, I've actually found settings that are useful and track well with my neck pickup. It ain't easy, but they're in there. Like I said though, a touch of compression can be your friend.

taco

I found a couple really cool settings as well and I know more people that have enjoyed the FM4 with their keyboards and synths than guitars.

I remember the "trails" patch being really cool. If you had an expression pedal you could work some of the presets like a wah and that in its own was something pretty neat.

• Members

Originally posted by scotron

as i have no 'practical' use for anything, i've come to love mine.. though it did take a while.

taco: can you explain the compression application a little more?

do you mean for the synth patches to get more sustain?

Well a touch of compression smooths out the volume spikes and seems to smooth out the digital graininess that it has on some settings.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by workinclasszero

I had one for a few months and it was the coolest thing that I had no practical use for.

+1

I loved the mutron+synth patch (Growler or something? - can't remember)

thought about rebuying one just for that but it hasn't happened yet.

An Australian guitarist Steve Magnusson uses one very well. He gets great subtle sounds out of it I never thought of.

(He's an amazing m#*!thr of a player!!!)

Archived