NEVER thought I'd buy this pedal again!

fuzzbox

• Members

Boss DS1!

I've been an advocate for bashing this pedal left and right. It was my first OD pedal in the 80's and sounded good at the time (thru a boom box and what have you..LOL) but after a few years i realized what a horrible pedal sound it had. Not like an amp and i never wanted to see it again. Let a band mate borrow it and and now i got to hear that nasty sound on every gig...not a good idea. That was also many years ago and i never looked back and didn't bother getting it back from him. He could keep that p.o.s.!(early Japan version..)

Now, I have a ton of OD pedals but they are just that. Great ones, but still OD and I wanted a distortion sound again for some recordings that need it. For some reason i decided to give it another shot...10 years since I left it behind and @ $38 i could afford to be wrong again...and i almost hoped i would.

But as i plugged it in i really liked it??? So cheap in price but yet sound no less good than all the BTQ pedals i have, at least that's how i feel.

I made a short clip. Strat >> 64 Bassman head >> isolation box w/ 90 Black Shadow >> Pro Tools...no trix, just a little delay for effect!

I actually dig the tone, gain just above half. Kinda Landau L.A. tone...minus the chops of course. Maxing it out you get some nice metal tones too (albeit never play it) and creamy lead tones with lots of sustain. Sweet - I give it 4 stars out of 5 :thu:

Boss DS1 clip >>>

• Members
Originally posted by SoulSerenade

Wow, that sounds great
:thu:

Where do you have the gain set at on that clip?

thanks....just above half, ca: 1pm and tone at 11am.
I should also add that I have wired my strat so the tone knob only affect the bridge p/u, allowing me to dial out some of the harsh high end of single coils leaving the other ones in un-touched state. I used the bridge on this clip!

• Members

Nice Clip...you have had better luck than me with that pedal :thu:
I have a Keeley Ultra quasi moto something and I think the amp I plugged it into didn't like it? I played it about a minute and put it back in the box and it sits on the shelf.....unplayed, I'm looking at it now, after hearing your clip I think I will give it another try :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by StratStevo

Nice Clip...you have had better luck than me with that pedal
:thu:
I have a Keeley Ultra quasi moto something and I think the amp I plugged it into didn't like it? I played it about a minute and put it back in the box and it sits on the shelf.....unplayed, I'm looking at it now, after hearing your clip I think I will give it another try
:wave:

funny thing...I bought the Keeley ultra mod (Steve vai) like two years ago or something and i didn't like it either. Traded it right away, but I think I like the stock much better. Don't need a buncha extra bottom end as I think it makes it too scooped sounding. The stock seems more open, but since I can't a/b them it's only based on my recollection. I think the assumption with DS1 is that it has to be set at high gain but try less, and perhaps use a copressor in front. I tried that and liked it too.

• Members

I have a Doobtone modded DS-1, and it's not the greatest pedal in the world, but it works and I like it plenty.

It sounds better in a direct recording setup compared to through an amp. Kind've stange, overall. I'm sure there's an amp out there it would be amazing through, though. :freak:

The sound demo posted here makes it sounds amazing, though. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Pwn3d

I want another stock just to have and I want an sd1 to fulldrive mod it.

I'm sad.
:(

I got a stock SD1 and also a FD2 and there are times i like the sd1 much better...a little more bite and its just sweet. i don't think they need mods, but i know we all look for different things!

• Members

Either you don't know what the DS-1 is supposed to sound like or you're not using it right. The DS-1 is the pedal of Vai, Satch and George Lynch. Not everyone's cup of tea, but its great if you're going for that sound.

Try turning the gain and tone down and the level up and use it to slam your amp(hopefully one with tubes in it). That seems to work best for most people.

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

I bought the DS-Ultra mod from Keeley and the thing sucks hard. Sounds ugly. Not ugly like "damn, that's some ugly ass but gangster distortion" but more like "damn, that sounds like an ugly old POS with no redeeming qualities."

Archived