should i sell my green russian Muff?..OR...

voerking

• Members

should i get the RonSound HairPie mod? i rarely use it anymore, because it's a bit harsh and hollow (no mids) sounding & it really muds up the bypassed sound. if the RS mods make it more usable, then...great, i'll use it....i'm undecided...anybody had that mod done to their muff?

• Members

i'm not sure. the russian greenies seem to have a strangely large window of resale value (like from $50 to $200). mine has been used a lot over the years and has some wear of the paint, so i'd imagine it to be on the low side of the spectrum.
ag_1.JPG
this is not mine, but one that's currently on ebay. mine has a similar amount of wear.
make an offer, if you like.

• Members

before you do anything.... turn the volume to max and gain zero... then slightly back of the volume to 99.8% and bring up the gain control to a nice volume... how does that sound? I think this pedal set that way is a nice gritty medium gain overdrive...

• Members

oh, i know there a lot of usable-to-great sounds in this thing. i've used it for the last ten years. i just wanted a bit less harshness, a bit more mids, and true bypass. whether it comes from this pedal modded, or a whole different pedal doesn't matter to me,

• Members

I'd get a cheap, new black Russian model to get modded. Those greenies have their own reputation and aura of collectibility (strangely enough). Maybe not right now, but some day they'll be seen as uber-cool. But, yeah; I hear ya about the less than awesome tone and the tone-sucking when bypassed.

• Members

there are many Muff-ish pedals i would like to try...but if i can make the one i already have into what i want, then i wanted to go for it. i'm kind of surprised by the collectability factor of these green muffs. i've had this pedal forever, and i never thought that much about it.

• Members
Originally posted by ScreamCage

you could try selling the green Muff, taking the money you have for the mod and putting it with the money you get for the Muff, and buy yourself a Baha Tech MOAF. they're widely reported as the best Muff clone, and as good if not better than the original Muffs.

If you're planning to buy a DaMOAF, buy from the maker on eBay for the best price.

Archived