Delay upgrades - suggestions please!

KarateSchnitzel

• Members

Right now i'm running a modded DD3 with dual switchable High cut which stays on the most analog setting 90% of the time..

now i know this is mostly a product of gas but i feel that this is the next item on my board worthy of an upgrade.....

i play live fairly often so feel something programmable and with tap tempo like the DL4 would be great and a lot less fiddly than manually adjusting the delay time on the dd3 to roughly the right place based on a picture drawn on tape... (we play to backing and a clicik so this would be pretty handy i guess )..or being an analogue snob ( can't be helped!) do i go with something like a DMM??? or some other suggestion than someone has.... the plan is to remove the Holy grail and DD3 and replace them with a 'better' delay!

God that rambles a bit - -so erm any other suggestions/ experiences? cheers!?

• Members

I've gone from a DD6 to a DD20 and the improvement is vast.

Saving presets = godsend.
tone knob = essential
23 seconds SOS = great fun
BPM and milisecond display = genius
delay trails whenever you go from one setting to the next, or off = classy.
tape and modulated delays = lush
etc etc etc.

Seriously, most pedals I buy end up being a slight dissapointment (they're always smaller in real life, or they're just not as amazing as everyone says) But this one is a big exception. And it looks good too.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

I've gone from a DD6 to a DD20 and the improvement is vast.

Saving presets = godsend.

tone knob = essential

23 seconds SOS = great fun

BPM and milisecond display = genius

delay trails whenever you go from one setting to the next, or off = classy.

tape and modulated delays = lush

etc etc etc.

Seriously, most pedals I buy end up being a slight dissapointment (they're always smaller in real life, or they're just not as amazing as everyone says) But this one is a big exception. And it looks good too.

Cheers.....is the tone knob essentially a hi cut filter??? the display seems to be its selling point over the DL4.... did u ever compare the two?

• Members

Originally posted by KarateSchnitzel

Cheers.....is the tone knob essentially a hi cut filter??? the display seems to be its selling point over the DL4.... did u ever compare the two?

The tone knob is at 'unity' at 12 o clock, so if you turn it after that, the delays are actually brighter. I've never compared it with a DL4, but I own an MM4, and I didn't really want another line 6 pedal. They're far from great, and they need a special power supply, the {censored}s.

• Members

Originally posted by bobby yarrow

I'll do clips. Tho I think you're one of the only folks who ever listen to clips . . .

It's a dreamy delay. A lot of memory man, but cleaner, much more tweakable, and, of course, tap-able . . .

I think there are definitely a few people who listen to your clips. BTW, the ones on your temp site...the Cusack...quite nice.

• Members

Right now i'm running a modded DD3 with dual switchable High cut which stays on the most analog setting 90% of the time..

now i know this is mostly a product of gas but i feel that this is the next item on my board worthy of an upgrade.....

i play live fairly often so feel something programmable and with tap tempo like the DL4 would be great and a lot less fiddly than manually adjusting the delay time on the dd3 to roughly the right place based on a picture drawn on tape... (we play to backing and a clicik so this would be pretty handy i guess )..or being an analogue snob ( can't be helped!) do i go with something like a DMM??? or some other suggestion than someone has.... the plan is to remove the Holy grail and DD3 and replace them with a 'better' delay!

God that rambles a bit - -so erm any other suggestions/ experiences? cheers!?

I recomend trying an Echo Park. In comparison to the DL-4:

Pros

Better bypass

More combinations of models (you can have digital/analogue/tape in any mode)

Takes up less space

Cons

No looper (doesn't sound like that is a factor for you)

No presets

I went from a DL-4 to an Echo Park and I am much happier. A lot of people complain about noise with an Echo Park and I have suffered none (using a PP2), another complaint is the dual function switch but I find it absolutely fine.

• Members
Originally posted by bobby yarrow

I'll do clips. Tho I think you're one of the only folks who ever listen to clips . . .

It's a dreamy delay. A lot of memory man, but cleaner, much more tweakable, and, of course, tap-able . . .

I would totally tap that...

• Members

Originally posted by Just

I recomend trying an Echo Park. In comparison to the DL-4:

Do you not find the echo- park a bit...ahem..flimsy i tried one not long ago and the knobs all seemed a bit small and fragile?? also heard complaints about the tap tempo on it - harder to adjust than the others....??

However i did think it sounded great...cheers for the input!

• Members

Do you not find the echo- park a bit...ahem..flimsy i tried one not long ago and the knobs all seemed a bit small and fragile?? also heard complaints about the tap tempo on it - harder to adjust than the others....??

However i did think it sounded great...cheers for the input!

Well the pots and shafts are plastic but they they don't stick up much and they are recessed below the level of the switch so you would have to try pretty hard to damage them I think. They turn smoothly, certainly not with a massive amount of resistance but they don't move once set. Maybe the knobs are a touch small but there's a lot of controls to fit on there I guess. The switch may feel flimsy on first impressions but as I said I've had no trouble with it and find it easy to alternate between stomping lightly to tap tempo and harder to switch on and off.

I have only a single complaint about it and that is a slight volume boost when engaged. Only a minor niggle really.

Archived