"build your own clone"...Worth It?

IAmAScientist

• Members

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/index.html

Ok, so these projects seem like a lot of fun to undertake, but I can buy a cheapo Boss pedal and mod it for less than it costs to buy all of the component parts for a clone off of this website. Is this website a rip or is 100 bucks a decent price for an unmade pedal's parts with instructions? Seems pretty steep to me...anyone have experience with this website?

• Members

basically they gather the parts together at a cost of $80-$100 of pedals that would cost you WAY, WAY more if you found them for real (script phasr 90s, vintage trebel boosters/comps, etc.)

Plus it is uber cool taht you can make it yourself. Pride in your handywork and all that {censored}e.

• Members

Originally posted by Cowinacape

A lot of people here swear by them, and seem to be very happy with the end result. I myself am eyeballing, the treble booster,and the phaser.

I guess my question is more if its worth the hundred bucks for an unbuilt pedal, or if I should get a 40 dollar pedal and a twenty dollar mod instead...

• Members

All depends on what you want... For me, it was half the pedal, and half the fun/frustration of making it myself. There are other sites for DIY though, and you don't HAVE to buy a kit unless you want to.

General Guitar Gadgets

For one example.

I'm assuming (and yes, I know what that makes) that you have some basic soldering knowledge.

I'm currently assembling:

4MS Duo Distortor Tue - assembled, but needs troubleshooting - gonna break 'er down and redo some stuff.

4MS Phaseur Fleur - PCB chipped out w/exception of CdS/LED/CdS section, awaiting parts.

GGG OS-1 (Orange Squeezer) Waiting on parts

GGG BSIAB2 (Brown Sound In A Box 2) Waiting on parts

I guess for me it's more the building. Enjoying them afterwards is lagniappe (I'm from Louisiana - required to say that every so often)

• Members

Originally posted by T113

Yep, had to do that for the 3ms Fuzz Jade and the 4ms Duo Distortor. Real PITA. I recommend buying ready-to-solder PCB.

Yeah, I should have figured. Doesn't sound as fun as a kit, either, I suppose. So which clone do you recommend? I was thinking about either the chorus or the delay...I'm thinking about pedals that I need, and I've got too many comps and overdrives already. Any other suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by State 6000

Well, the people who go to the trouble of making their own layouts and boards from schematics usually do it because they like electronics and enjoy the process as a hobby. Not necessarily because they want xyz effect for cheaper.

Yeah, that's what motivated me in the first place, just making the board more than having it ready made. Eh, I don't have a lot of room to work with chemicals, etc. to make a board though...what does it take to make your own schematic onto a board?

• Members

I'm sure i could've gotten a used Digitech or Boss for the same price, but it would have been a total pain to refinish one to my liking, and they're not TBP, neither of which are big deals at all.

But soundwise, you'd have a tough time taking my DD-80 from me. There are many digital or analog delays i'd part with before my BYOC DD-80.

Just my hearing/opinion. $75.00 for one of my all time favorite delays (and it was fun to build) seems like a helluva bargain.

• Members

the byo clones are great if you are a beginner to diy, they give you all the parts and instructions to make the kit, so you can ge on with it, and not spend ages faffing about buying all the bits and having to drill the box and get a board for it (stripboard or pcb or whatever) so it takes a lot of the hassle out of diy, and once you have built a pedal you can always try your own

the other bit is that they are brilliant quality, all the parts included are top parts, fine tolerance resisters and good caps and so on, so you are getting a great quality pedal (as long as you build it right)

David

• Members

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

I've heard of people actually making their own circuit boards out of raw board (from radioshack) and schematics from web resources. I imagine that this would be cheaper. Anyone ever attempted to make their own circuit boards? As in, to turn raw board into a pedal schematic?

if you make your own pcb's dont use the crappy radioshack boards.... they are phonalic, and break when you try to drill them

get some good pcb stock from small bear, some blue press and peel, and a couple really small drill bits #65 or so. If you dont have access to a drill press dont even try it.

there are plenty of sites that sell premade pcb's for various effects... like general guitar gadgets and run off groove... they charge anywhere from $10 to $20 depending on the size. What you wont get from them is tech support or real help if anything goes wrong.

BTW what boss pedal are you getting for $40 and doing a $20 mod on... the only $40 pedal i know of from boss is the DS1 which can be modded, but its not something BYOC offers.

Anyways, if it is your first build i would highly recomend buying some kind of kit, and BYOC boards are probably the nicest ive need for kits.

• Members

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/index.html

Ok, so these projects seem like a lot of fun to undertake, but I can buy a cheapo Boss pedal and mod it for less than it costs to buy all of the component parts for a clone off of this website. Is this website a rip or is 100 bucks a decent price for an unmade pedal's parts with instructions? Seems pretty steep to me...anyone have experience with this website?

you're paying for the parts PLUS the board design and all the work that goes into making a good clone.

you obviously have no clue how difficult that is eh?

Sure you can breadboard your stuff but it takes a lot more attention.

here's my latest DIY project:

halfwatt.jpg

Archived