Ultimate Overdrive: need suggestions

Chexmix...

• Members

Hey guys im doing some research for a pedal maker and im wondering what you guys would want in an overdrive? It would be a dual pedal with two footswitches with two different overdrives. kind of like a jeckyl and hyde. what features would you want and what kind of sound? and any other little bits that you think would be cool to throw in. :)

• Members

If I could get my ultimate overdrive I doubt it will be usable and/or it will be very expensive :D

For starters, I would like adjustable gain, eq., and compression, and the ability to recall some settings as "presets" or "patches."

It should work equally well as a tone enhancer, boost, light overdrive, and medium overdrive.

It would have adjustable "voicings" to emulate different amp and/or cabinet types, as well as tube type and current (emulation again).

I would also like an input selector to optimize the type of guitar and/or pickups being used.

It will combine what I like about the Fireball 2, Double Shot, Double Drive, Tube Factor (factor 1), Nobels ODR-1, etc.

I would pay $500 for such a pedal. Making one probably will cost more :D

The most important feature is that it needs to be easily modded. Once the ultimate overdrive becomes available someone will come up with mods to make it better by changing a few components :D

• Members

Originally posted by Chexmix...

sounds good. what would be some good overdrives to emulate?

In addition to the ones I mentioned I enjoyed the SIB Varidrive with a 12AU7 and Hot Chilli Tubester.

And now I remembered another featured I would want. It has to be useable with headphones and for direct recording. Maybe something along the lines of the SansAmp Classic.

Another unit that comes to mind is the AKAI G-Drive or The Fuzz by Carl Martin. Those were quite versatile.

Now, in terms of marketing, too much versatility seems to be something guitarists do not want. It's easier to plug and play without having to move too many parameters. Having one pedal as a boost, another as an overdrive, another as a distortion, each with 3 parameters (e.g., level, tone, gain) seems to be more in tune to what guitarists use.

Just creating a pedal that works with different guitars and amps is already a plus. If it's responsive to the players touch and can produce 2 or 3 great sounds, I think many people will want one.

Archived