New Rocktron Heart Attack filter

Jon Hiller

• Members

Just a quick heads-up on this, as I don't see any kind of review on it anywhere yet. I got one in this week and I have to say it's an absolute barrell of fun to play around with. It's very much like any other attack-controlled filter, but instead of just being a wah, it's actually some sort of phase effect instead. It still sounds like a wah filter at some settings but not on all, it's got a fairly wide range of adjustment to it. It also has a distortion switch on it which gives it another different flavor.

This being the only filter pedal I've ever used I can't really give it a good review based against other filters so I don't really want to go too far with this but I will say that I had more fun with this pedal figuring out what it does than I've had with a pedal in a while. Every single person who tried it in the shop over the last three days has gone wide-eyed and had a big grin over it too.

List is $99.00 so it will hit the streets at about $59.00 most places. If you like filter pedals or are just looking for something different to break you out of a rut you ought to give it a shot.

• Members

Now that you mention it, one of the high-schoolers that was in yesterday at lunch broke into a Frampton song after playing with this pedal for a couple minutes. I never thought much about it at the time. You can definitely hear the phase shifter in it at certain settings too, but it really doesn't sound like a typical phaser at all.

I'm gonna have to order several of these, I think they are gonna sell pretty well. It's just a lot of fun for a pedal that's not terribly expensive.

• Members

It may lack in the practical a bit, but it is very fun to horse around with, which if you are in a playing slump, can be a very, very good thing. I can totally see using it to color a lead here and there, it's got a pretty varied tonal palette, depending on how extreme you set it.

Archived