Vintage orange DOD 280 compressor any good?

• Members

Not a bad price at all, but sometimes you can even find the grey one (older version) for about the same price.

It's a fairly transparant compressor, but with a very slow attack, causing it to 'pump' and 'breathe' rather heavily.

If you crank the volume to 3 'o clock and keep the compression under 9 o' clock, it brings an organic mojo to a Strat. Really magical tone that way.

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

Not a bad price at all, but sometimes you can even find the grey one (older version) for about the same price.

It's a fairly transparant compressor, but with a very slow attack, causing it to 'pump' and 'breathe' rather heavily.

If you crank the volume to 3 'o clock and keep the compression under 9 o' clock, it brings an organic mojo to a Strat. Really magical tone that way.

I have one and this describes it quite well. I find it useless with high compression because this 'pump and breathe' effect starts to be quite annoying...but I could see someone liking that tone.

• Members

Update!

Well, I just bit the bullet and snapped up this DOD Compressor/280 pedal that I mentioned, I talked the pawnshop owner down on the price too. The original price was $50.00 CAN ($43.00 USD) and he offered it to me for $40.00 CAN ($34.00 USD) and no taxes either, I thought that was too good to pass up.

It looks really old, it's orange with white lettering and has a 9V DC jack on the side but no LED. It has "DOD" stamped on the backplate. I think it's an original vintage model.

I don't think that DOD ever reissued this pedal. Mine looks like an antique.

I'll post a follow-up when I get a chance to try it out with my gear.

• Members

Originally posted by Humbucker

Update!

Well, I just bit the bullet and snapped up this DOD Compressor/280 pedal that I mentioned, I talked the pawnshop owner down on the price too. The original price was $50.00 CAN ($43.00 USD) and he offered it to me for $40.00 CAN ($34.00 USD) and no taxes either, I thought that was too good to pass up.

It looks really old, it's orange with white lettering and has a 9V DC jack on the side but no LED. It has "DOD" stamped on the backplate. I think it's an original vintage model.

I don't think that DOD ever reissued this pedal. Mine looks like an antique.

I'll post a follow-up when I get a chance to try it out with my gear.

Yes it's re-issued twice.

The first (original) version is grey with orange. And a thin font.

Then comes (late 70's/early 80's) the orange one (white letters)

but this one has SERIFED font.

And from the early 90's there's a re-issue of that orange one, which has a normal font (no serifs), but a 'vintage looking' box. This one is more red of color.

Vintage orange one:

DOD_280Compressor_l.jpg

(the knobs look slightly different too. The black area is a bit thinner, or the silver inserts are just bigger).

Orange RI:

dodcomp280.jpg