It's Thanksgiving, how are you cooking your bird?

Chirpy_72

• Members

Got a 19lb bird that I brined last night. Going to stick it in the over in a couple of hours ...

Thanksgiving is a great time to reflect on how lucky we are to be alive, to be free, to worship how we please, to have choices. I was thinking this earlier today as I sipped my 5 shot Venti Americano @ Starbucks. I thought, what a great country that I can order a coffee drink so potent that it can send lesser men into a caffine induced coma on Thanksgiving morning. Then I started leering at some soccer mom's perfect ass and I lost my train of thought.

I LOVE turkey

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American forumites and to all the non Americans. And to all the vegetarians out there ... eat a drumstick ... you know you want to ! ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Alex D

you brined it? what does that mean, I might to try it next year, allways looking for more ways to cook the bird
;)

happy turkey-day
:wave:

I made a solution of 2 gallons H20, 5 cups kosher salt, 3 cups brown sugar, 1 tblspoon peppercorns, 1 tblspoon allspice berries, 1 tblspoon candied ginger. Mixed it all together, brought it to a boil. Cooled it down in the fridge. Added 1 gallon ice water.

I put the bird into a large double bagged CLEAN garbagebag. The bag was place in a cooler filled with ice. Then I filled the bag ( with the bird in it ) with the brine solution. Closed up the bag and the cooler and let it sit for 12 hours.

The solution soaks into the meat, adding a bit of flavor and moisture. The sugar helps the bird to accept moisture and helps the outside to brown when roasting.

Before you do it next year do a google search, there's a lot of recipes out there.

• Members
Originally posted by Chirpy_72

I made a solution of 2 gallons H20, 5 cups kosher salt, 3 cups brown sugar, 1 tblspoon peppercorns, 1 tblspoon allspice berries, 1 tblspoon candied ginger. Mixed it all together, brought it to a boil. Cooled it down in the fridge. Added 1 gallon ice water.

I put the bird into a large double bagged CLEAN garbagebag. The bag was place in a cooler filled with ice. Then I filled the bag ( with the bird in it ) with the brine solution. Closed up the bag and the cooler and let it sit for 12 hours.

The solution soaks into the meat, adding a bit of flavor and moisture. The sugar helps the bird to accept moisture and helps the outside to brown when roasting.

Before you do it next year do a google search, there's a lot of recipes out there.

thanks man, see ya :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Chirpy_72

Somebody watches Good Eats a lot...

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by agentcooper2001

fried turkey is the best. I can't believe that more people don't do it that way.

i think its illegal to fry a turkey if you are not in a former state of the confederacy. I've had deep fried turkey twice... It is a lot harder to screw up, but a good baked turkey is better.

My wife made the best turkey ever this year... juicy, and tasty... she brined it, and put all kinds of citrus, onions, and other stuff in as a stuffing... not the kind of stuffing you eat mind you, but it adds a lot of flavor to the bird, and keeps it from drying out.

• Members

I brined and roasted. Similar solution as Chirpy.

I then rubbed the bird down with some olive oil, patted it with Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, thyme, and rosemary. filled the cavity with oranges and lemons. Came out great. Very tasty with perfect crisp golden brown skin.

I took the roasting pan and deglazed with a chardonnay, and made a really tasty gravy.

Archived