how can i get a woody tone

lagunabeach

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

i think key elements to a really woody sound would be a mahogany guitar and maybe some bill lawrence l-500-l's

i'd disagree.

a mahogany body doesn't resonate and therefore doesn't color the tone. it does, however, allow the strings to be vibrate on and on and on...

the woodiest-sounding guitar is the strat, which is what knopfler played. it's really light alder which means it dampens the tone a bit--that combined with the fact that the strat is a "semi-semi-hollow." its trem cavity isn't just a built-in reverb tank but also adds a slight acoustic quality--as does the gaping hole pickup routing of more modern strats.

• Members

Originally posted by hookstrapped

I think you're talking guitars and pickups, not effects

Agreed. The semi solid with warm Gibson PAF type pickups. Maybe a different sense of woody tone, but I've always associated it with a more natural wood resonance in the axe. A bit of reverb sweetens the growl, otherwise the amp has never mattered that much...

• Members

The earliest case I know of someone calling their tone "woody" was Clapton w/ Cream, SG w/ tone turned down, cranked through I guess it was a Marshall. I can see that description fitting the tone down sound, especially where the pickups start off with a fairly good treble and the tone cap isn't too large it doesn't kill the highs, just retune them.

Archived