Tell me about the Keeley Boss ds-1 Ultra mod, and other ds-1 mods...

anomaly

• Members

I'm looking to pick up a distortion, and I'm thinking about picking up one of the Keeley modded ds-1's, or maybe one modded by Analog Man or something. Is this pedal good for heavy rock/metal stuff? How does it react with solid state amps? Could it be used as a boost as well?

• Members

The DS-1 is awful in front of SS amps. Even if it's modded.

I have a modded one, and it has a nice rock sound to it. Nothing wrong with it, nothing special about it, unless perhaps you really enjoyed grunge music/Nirvana. It's a love/hate type of pedal, and in my opinion it has it's uses, so yeah. Mods improve the sound of the pedal, but at the end of the day it's still a ds-1.

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

I'm looking to pick up a distortion, and I'm thinking about picking up one of the Keeley modded ds-1's, or maybe one modded by Analog Man or something. Is this pedal good for heavy rock/metal stuff? How does it react with solid state amps? Could it be used as a boost as well?

Yeah, DS-1 through solid state=bad, pretty much. The Ultra can be used as a boost, but it still adds a "DS-1" flavor to the tone.

• Members

I use 3 dirt boxes; an overdrive, rock distortion and a metal distortion. These change on a weekly basis.

Today:

Jacques Tubeblower

Keeley ultra modded DS-1

Rocktron Metal Planet

Coming for evaluation:

Line 6 Ubermetal

Catalinbread Stallion

Boss Metal Zone

I do like the Keeley DS-1 into a SS amp and it makes a great rock pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by anomaly

Keeley Ultra DS-1 is just great!

I haven't tried it with SS, but it does super well with my Nano and Pro Jr. The best sound is when the Nano is already a bit overdriven, and then I put the DS-1 on Ultra with distortion about halfway up.

The pedal also sounds good at lower distortion settings for a bluesy break-up sound, although you could do better I suppose with a BD-2 or overdrive pedal.

Another cool thing to do with the Keeley DS-1 is to try a boost either just before or after it. Just before it, and you can keep that red light of distortion on all the time!

-- Joe

P.S. Yes, you can use it for a slighty 'dirty' boost, and it sounds good. But you certainly can find better pedals for overall boosting duty.

Archived