distortion pedal for a rhodes?

IndofunkCity

• Members

Hi y'alls, I don't think I've started an on-topic thread here in a while, so here goes:

I already asked this in the keyboard forum, and got some suggestions, but I thought I'd ask the real pedal heads here, too.

I just dusted off my rhodes seventy-three and for now I'm running it through a crappy little 10W keyboard amp. Just for fun I tried hooking up some of my guitar effects and it sounded great! My phase90 sounds superb, my dano trem sounds great if it's subtle, and my PS3 on a delay setting sounds, well, like a digital dealy. However, my Rat sounds truly horrendous on Rhodes. What distortion sounds good? I'm thinking I should try running the rhodes into my SF Champ, but I'd like a distortion that I could use at lower volumes.

Oh, and no rack units.

The keys forum suggested a Bad Monkey, Tube Screamer (the reissues and even the tone-lok version), and a Sparkle Drive. Any other suggestions here?

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by godard

I use fuzz pedals to make it sound synthy/distortiony (Big Muff for instance) so maybe that'd work better than a distortion like the Rat?

Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of overdriven, breaking up, not all the way to fuzz territory. The rat sounds too fuzzy on the rhodes for me....

• Members

rhodes players usually play through a slightly overdriven amp so any pedal that does that vintage OD well should do the trick. you may want to consider a bass OD pedal or at least a guitar pedal that handles the bass, since the rhodes ventures into the lower registers.

i don't know bass pedals really but maybe a boss OD-3. i've used it for organ and electronic piano and it sounds nice!

• Members

Like I say, I can get it to sound synthy with a fuzz which can be cool, but subtle it ain't.

The Sparkle Drive seems good, I wonder if maybe a Zvex SHO or Catalinbread booster (the bassier one) wouldn't work too for what you want.

• Members

Thanks, people, I'll give these suggestions a whirl. Too bad it's tough to bring my rhodes to the shop to try out the different pedals!

Oh, and GuyaGuy, what kind of amps do they play through? Normal ss keyboard amps usually sound pissy when overdriven, and I don't have the rhodes that comes with and sits on top of the amp. Maybe I should try my Champ?

• Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity

Thanks, people, I'll give these suggestions a whirl. Too bad it's tough to bring my rhodes to the shop to try out the different pedals!

Oh, and GuyaGuy, what kind of amps do they play through? Normal ss keyboard amps usually sound pissy when overdriven, and I don't have the rhodes that comes with and sits on top of the amp. Maybe I should try my Champ?

"The" amp for a Fender Rhodes is probably a blackface Fender Twin.

• Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity

I just dusted off my rhodes seventy-three and for now I'm running it through a crappy little 10W keyboard amp. Just for fun I tried hooking up some of my guitar effects and it sounded great! My phase90 sounds superb, my dano trem sounds great if it's subtle, and my PS3 on a delay setting sounds, well, like a digital dealy. However, my Rat sounds truly horrendous on Rhodes. What distortion sounds good? I'm thinking I should try running the rhodes into my SF Champ, but I'd like a distortion that I could use at lower volumes.

Like someone mentioned, use a different amp if you can. The Rhodes needs some bigger speakers! With the right amp, that Rat should work decently well. I've seen guys get good tones with keys + the Boss Mega Distortion of Xtortion. The SD-1 is a cool.

But start with a bigger amp. The Champ is a great amp, but just not right for this use!

Daniel

• Members

Akai G-Drive

responsive to playing dynamics, and you can boost specific frequencies pre and post gain.

it can do clean, all ranges of overdrive, metal distortion and fuzz all because of the eq. invaluable pedal for me. i'm sure it'd work really well with keys to because of all the above tweakisms

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I think and tube OD pedal would work well. What's the mid-powered fender amp, a Super? That would be awesome with a boost and volume pedal.

But dude, you've got to try a ring modulator with the rhodes. I heard one once and it was killer. Heck any guitar pedal effects should be sweet with a Rhodes. (Damn you I have Rhodes GAS now!)

• Members

Of all things the two coolest sounds I get from my Seventy Three are from this homemade square wave fuzz thing (although I know you want to avoid fuzzes on this one) that someone gave me years ago that has knobs that divide by 2, 3(!) and 4 to get octave, 3rd and 2-octave down sounds that can all be blended. The other cool sounding thing I have use is...a Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine, anyone remember those atrocities? Well interestingly enough, if you swap one of the tubes with a 12AT7 it sounds fan-fricking-tastic and Rhodes records really well direct using the 'cabinetluator' output, which is basically like a Red Box circuit.

• Members

Just to let y'all know, I've been chilling with Rhodes -> Bad Monkey -> phase90 -> Tuna Melt -> Champ. Though I actually haven't powered 'er up in a while :o

I need (nah, just want) a mid-powered Fender, so who mentioned a Super? May be in the cards...

• Members

wait wait wait, the rat sounds awful? the rat is only a distortion pedal? Man! Blasphemy!

What are your settings on that thing! If you want Rat Overdrive, then Rat Overdrive you shall have!

Here's my suggestion to you: Volume at 3ish, Distortion at 9ish, filter at about 1 to 2ish. That's the Rat overdrive. Of course, if you want grit, lower the volume a little bit, bring up your gain, take a bit off of the filter!

The rat is seriously really versatile, you just gotta work the knobs the right way.

Archived