Pedals vs. musical ability

freqdaddy

• Members

it's not simple question.
Effects can hide your playing somewhat. Delays for example can do this. You can also sound very bad with effects if you don't use them right. Some people have effects on all the time, which makes the music very bad. Effects are tools, just like percussions and bass are tools. No effects can mean very boring music. They add to the song.

• Members

Originally posted by freqdaddy

Simple question. Do you use pedals to cover up your lack of musical knowledge?

No judgement here from me. Do you step on a pedal when you have run out of musical ideas???

Blast away....

With that kind of thinking, why play anything but acoustic...{censored}, why use an instrument at all? By that rational, only singers are capable of having any real musical knowledge or a limitless supply of musical ideas.

I used to play various instruments in orchestras and large ensembles in high school and college. Pedals help me achieve my musical ideas and the ability to sculpt such a wide variety of musical textures only underscores the depth of my musical knowledge rather than hiding it.

To me playing 128th notes at 180 bpm is no less of an "effect" than stomping on a tremolo pedal or bending a note.

• Members

No judgement here from me. Do you step on a pedal when you have run out of musical ideas???

Blast away....

Ah. The exhausted troll binary. Every one of us pedal wackjobs realize tone is in our fingers.

• Members

Blast away....

First question, no. Whilst my knowledge of theory is basic, I do know what I'm doing (ish).

Second question, sort of. I'm inspired by sound. A new or different sound inspires a musical idea which might grow into a song. I dont just play electric guitar. I've written stuff on classical or even bass guitar and adapted it for guitar. I've written stuff in open tunings and adapted it for standard.

Finally, is there a problem with someone with minimal knowledge and ability making music with a load of pedals? Not everyone has the talent or opportunity to be a world famous musician. There are many hobbyists like myself who get an enormous amount of satisfaction from playing music. There's no browny points from being better than someone else. And what is better anyway?

Music aint a competition.

• Members

I write every song on an acoustic guitar- the electric and all the noises that go with it (FX) are there to compose parts later after the song is written and I'm arranging it, so it doesn't work that way for me- the important thing to me is the song itself, not the parts or the noises or the effects or the solo. You can take all that crap away and I'd still have my song.

• Members

My ultimate heroes are Scofield and Frisell.
They are both AAA+ league players (then some) and they both use effects as accurate artistic devices.
Me personally - I'm a clean player at heart with a stash of effects that I am learning to use (slowly). Each has a number of soul felt applications that make me very happy at the right moment.
Often I barely use any of them, but at the right moment they just have to be there or the moment isn't as special.
The worst is when you have a sound in your head - you know exactly what you want to express and you can't do it without a pedal that you don't have there.:mad:

• Members

Blast away....

i have played for 30 years, for the first 15,

only a wah would sully my purist train of thought, then, as i played in more bands and

such, i realized i needed more... so boss pedals:rolleyes: now i have awesome pedals

ala pedalworx, lovepedal, zendrive, etc, and

am much more inspired with them, but, i still

love to plug sraight into my 67 bf twin and am

inspired in a different mind set. make sense?

i thought not! valvey will translate:o

• Members

Finally, is there a problem with someone with minimal knowledge and ability making music with a load of pedals? Not everyone has the talent or opportunity to be a world famous musician. There are many hobbyists like myself who get an enormous amount of satisfaction from playing music. There's no browny points from being better than someone else. And what is better anyway?

+1000 That pretty much says it all. Thread over.

• Members

Originally posted by Cow4prez

Effects are tools, just like percussions and bass are tools. No effects can mean very boring music.

"percussions and bass" are not actually tools for the guitarist. They're the heart of the song. The guitar noodling is generally there to make the important part ("percussions and bass") sound prettier. And if your music is boring without effects, I promise it's boring with them, too. That is a matter of covering up.

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

"percussions and bass" are not actually tools for the guitarist. They're the heart of the song. The guitar noodling is generally there to make the important part ("percussions and bass") sound prettier. And if your music is boring without effects, I promise it's boring with them, too. That is a matter of covering up.

+1

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I am not trolling here, I am as big a pedal wackjob as the next guy/gal.

I am wrestling with the fact that I have spent the last week breadboarding a crazy ring mod pedal and right beside me are Scott Hendersons great instructional videos that I want to get in to. It's a matter of which to focus on, which is better use of my time. Of course both are good. The possibility of coming up with a new exciting sonic tool or expand my musical knowledge.

I'm just thinking about the balance between playing stuff you know with a new sound or learning new ways to approach playing.

Thanks for helping me get my head around it. It's all good.

Archived