FULLTONE Full Drive 2 or O C D

guitarman1956

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman1956

For those who have experience with both pedals: I've used the Full Drive 2 but did not have enough drive for the higher gain stuff of Classic Rock. I found it more SRV'ish. Does the OCD take up where the Full Drive 2 left off? Thanks

Yes. It won't get raging scooped metal but it gets plenty high-gained. I think you'll be pleased if you like the quality of the FD2.

• Members

Don't want metal. Just great gain/crunch for classic rock like judas priest/ sabath, etc. Does the OCD take up where the FD 2 left off?

Yes. If you liked the FD2 but felt it was still lacking something, you'll find the OCD picks up where the FD2 left off. I owned both for several months but sold the OCD only because I sold the amp I used it with. It wouldn't be an impossibility to someday revisit the OCD.

• Members

it really depends on your amp...the whole not cutting thru thing. i'm running mine into a SF bassman which is already breaking up...and im hitting the amp with a pretty decent amount of boost too, so the lack of mids doesnt affect me TOO much, but i could see it being a big problem for someone using a cleaner amp. i also run a modded rat into it with the gain way low, just for added midrange. honestly...most people probably wouldnt go so much out of their way to keep the OCD as i am. normally i would have sold it a few days after receiving it, but i like the structure of the gain so i kept it. its buzzy yet bold sounding.

• Members

One of the posts above stated the OCD will not cut through the mix. Anyone else with "live" experience?

Hi. i just wanted to jump in and say that I love my OCD, and use it live all the time. I'm playing a strat into an old Music Man 2x12 combo, and it cuts beautifully, but only in the HP mode. At least with my setup, the LP mode didn't have enough kick in the mids to cut through, although the LP mode sounded great when I was playing through my amp alone.:)

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

i didnt' care for the ocd.

sounded great at home.....

but i found it had a lack of mids, and was easily lost in the mix.

it did sound ok w/ a ts9 for solos though.

+1 NOT ENOUGH MIDS. I use mt FD2 for low gain/OD stuff and thought the OCD would do the trick for having my FD2 sound on 20....not quite, I love the harmonics that ooze from the pedal but I am going to have to sell it or runa TS-9or Fulldrive into it in a loop, if I keep it. My Distortion Pro does a much better job IMO.

• Members

it is very dependent on the amp.

what i tried it with......

-jcm900

-jcm 800 2210

-vox ac30

-1987x plexi ri

-blues jr

sounded great through all of them, until you had the full band around.

its odd, some people look at me like im crazy when i say that, but i have had MANY people agree w/ me at this point.

my main rig has become the Vox and plexi ab'd....the FD2 sounds amazing. i wanted something to really push it up into a slightly higher gain territory, and although the OCD did that, the sound became sooo scooped, that the hollow tone would be engulfed by the other guitar players Mesa Recto, and bass players Ampeg svt II. with just the FD2, they had trouble keeping up with me. OCD was the culprit.

i tried the HP and LP modes, before and after the FD2. it really only worked as a lead boost (sounded great at that), but wasn't what i was looking for.

perhaps the Xotic BB preamp will be more what im looking for.

i also tried a modded DOD 250-- that was a little closer to what i was lookin for.

....just my ears, though, everyone is different.....

• Members

For those who have experience with both pedals: I've used the Full Drive 2 but did not have enough drive for the higher gain stuff of Classic Rock. I found it more SRV'ish. Does the OCD take up where the Full Drive 2 left off? Thanks

Hi guys, read this thread and am compelled to post my 2 cents, and even tho I make pedals, I'm not here to pimp my stuff. That said, I'm wondering why you're trying to replace one "SRV" type OD with another, if you're trying to get classic rock crunch like early Priest/Sabbath etc.? Guitarchris brought up distortion, and IMO, that's where you should be looking.

Now here's where it may sound like I'm pimping my {censored}, but we make a distortion that's very classic rock, cuts thru the mix, lots of gain/crunch and sounds like what you're looking for.

http://www.alteredsounds.com/reviews-9.html

http://www.givenmusic.org/news/index.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Cats_Eye_ESP/Mutha_Fuzz-1.html

• Members

Originally posted by Deanosolo

Hi guys, read this thread and am compelled to post my 2 cents, and even tho I make pedals, I'm not here to pimp my stuff....Now here's where it may sound like I'm pimping my {censored}, but we make a distortion that's very classic rock, cuts thru the mix, lots of gain/crunch and sounds like what you're looking for.

Umm, yeah - it sounds like you're trying to pimp your stuff alright.

*It's ok to pimp your stuff. Just don't say "I'm not trying to pimp my stuff" then proceed to pimp your stuff.* :D

• Members

Originally posted by Deanosolo

Hi guys, read this thread and am compelled to post my 2 cents, and even tho I make pedals, I'm not here to pimp my stuff. That said, I'm wondering why you're trying to replace one "SRV" type OD with another, if you're trying to get classic rock crunch like early Priest/Sabbath etc.? Guitarchris brought up distortion, and IMO, that's where you should be looking.

Now here's where it may sound like I'm pimping my {censored}, but we make a distortion that's very classic rock, cuts thru the mix, lots of gain/crunch and sounds like what you're looking for.

The OCD is NOT a SRV type OD. The OCD borders more on distortion at the higher gain settings. I am sitting in front of my OCD and FD2 right now the OCD far surpasses the FD2 in terms of available gain. The FD2 into the OCD (on either Comp Cut or Vintage) turns the OCD into a high gain monster.

Having said all that, you say that you have a "distortion pedal" but why is it called a fuzz? Seems apples and oranges to me. :confused:

• Members

Hey guitarman..... I just did a really quick clip for you. It starts out with the FD2 (Vintage mode, Mosfet off), then repeats with the OCD and then repeats with the FD2 and the OCD stacked. Let me know if you want a specific clip and I can whip it up. Here's the link.........

FD2, OCD, FD2 + OCD

Here's a pic of the settings...........

ocdfd2.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

The OCD is NOT a SRV type OD. The OCD borders more on distortion at the higher gain settings. I am sitting in front of my OCD and FD2 right now the OCD far surpasses the FD2 in terms of available gain. The FD2 into the OCD (on either Comp Cut or Vintage) turns the OCD into a high gain monster.

Having said all that, you say that you have a "distortion pedal" but why is it called a fuzz? Seems apples and oranges to me.
:confused:

:rolleyes: Overdrive begat distortion, Distortion begat fuzz......Need there be any further explanation? They're all "Distortion" pedals. It says Distortion right on it so there wouldn't be any confusion. Besides it was a catchy name....

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

Arjae,

You're the first person I've seen with the new Mosfet FD2. Did you ever own the previous version? If so, how much does the new one differ? Just curious....

Yeah, I think the only other person around here with one was MrMunky and he dumped it on eBay.

I had a regular one with the 3 way switch and sold it in anticipation of this one. With it set to standard, it sounds the same as the regular ones. When set to Mosfet, it changes considerably. More than I expected. It adds to the sound a bit of mids and high mids. It sounds bigger overall. I am quite pleased with it and consider it to be a nice addition which I definitely have been using. I prefer it set to the Mosfet mode. I can do a clip to compare the Mosfet on/off for ya.

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

Umm, yeah - it sounds like you're trying to pimp your stuff alright.

*It's ok to pimp your stuff. Just don't say "I'm not trying to pimp my stuff" then proceed to pimp your stuff.*
:D

:) I hear ya, but making a sale really wasn't the point. My point was, that even if I didn't make the pedal but knew of it, I would still be compelled to tell him about it. If you made a pedal that, to you sounded like it was what someone was looking for, wouldn't you tell them about it?

• Members

I'd like to hear the mosfet vs regular fulldrive too. I really like my Fulldrive-I use it with an already bluesy overdriven tone and have had a lot of complements on my "amp" sound. I've tried the ocd three times and tried to like it. It sounds okay, but I don't hear any sounds that I can't get with my amp's overdrive plus the fulldrive. I tried to like it, and it does sound pretty good, but I can't justify the cost for my setup-it does have more gain than the fulldrive, it just depends on how you use it-with a clean amp it will get you into heavy overdrive by itself. I guess to me, it just sounds like an amp's natural overdrive, while the Fulldrive adds some flavor-more bluesy midrange.

Archived