Is a Barber direct drive good choice for first pedal?

plusone

• Members
Originally posted by plusone

yay:confused:

kinda depends on the tone your goin for, for
me my dd can do light od., clean boost with
slight color, or a damn good crunch, i have
the original with the push pull pot for extra
mids when i need it! great price, service and
sound, yes, great first or last pedal!
good luck!:)

• Members

Originally posted by turtleheadblues

I had 2 different DDSS pedals. They sounded pretty good at home but to me unuseable live. Way too much compression for me. If I just played at home by myself they would work fine.

actually tony, your right, a lot of comp indeed!

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

doesn't the latest version of the DD have less compression?

I have a newer one and it's not that compressed. Less than other OD/Dist. pedals that I've used. It's got a nice crunch, but I can't get a light OD sound from it. It has an internal trimmer where I can turn down the gain, but I haven't tried that yet. But it's no big deal because I got it for high gain.

• Members
Originally posted by mofx4me

I have a newer one and it's not that compressed. Less than other OD/Dist. pedals that I've used. It's got a nice crunch, but I can't get a light OD sound from it. It has an internal trimmer where I can turn down the gain, but I haven't tried that yet. But it's no big deal because I got it for high gain.

Yeah mine is not that compressed. I love it. The only internal trimmers in the stock 2005 Direct Drive are Bass and Presence (treble). I was just fiddling with mine last night. Amazingly the Bass trimmer doesn't have to be turned up much to have massive girth, much more than an SD-1 or TS-9.

plusone: it would be a great first pedal. it would be a great 50th pedal. ;)

Archived