Tell me about the Small Stone

nosebleed

• Members

Hey guys, I think i like to get this for christmas but tell me a little bit more about it. more like comparing to the phase 90, which i also love, but i think this will give me another kind of sound. do the usa reissues have the volume drop?? is it really hard to fix??

just discuss.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by nosebleed

is the russian bigger than the usa reissue??

did you use it in the loop or with your amps distortion?

I think it is bigger

I didn't use it in a loop

I used it with dirt pedals and clean

it really does sound nice and full, but sometimes I wanted it to more subtle

but there's no fx level

that's when I just had to understand that it is great for doing the single thing that it does

• Members

the Russian is quite a bit larger than the USA.

bare in mind, i've never actually used one, so this is just what i've heard. the USA is thicker and more versatile, takes up less space, and if i remember correctly, the Russian's input and output jacks are backwards. the USA is just supposed to be all-around better than the Russian (unlike the deal with the Big Muffs), and they both can be had on Ebay for about $20.

• Members

Don't know about the re-issue, but my original is the wettest, drippiest phase I've ever heard. It doesn't do subtle, but it does a really thick phase sound. And the knob gives you the range to go from real slow to all-out-warble.

• Members

Originally posted by hoerni

Don't know about the re-issue, but my original is the wettest, drippiest phase I've ever heard. It doesn't do subtle, but it does a really thick phase sound. And the knob gives you the range to go from real slow to all-out-warble.

+1

I have a late 70s' Small Stone and I love it.

• Members

Are the originals the ones that have the small stone letters in orange?? can't really remember, how much do those go for??
My brother is buying the pedal for me, since i'm out of the states. does the original have the volume drop too?? is it really noticeable or just a little bit?

• Members

Originally posted by nosebleed

Are the originals the ones that have the small stone letters in orange?? can't really remember, how much do those go for??

The original 1970s Small Stones had 3 different designs on the face (the top of the pedal). The one your refering to is the second design. The one on the US reissue is just like the third design. I have the second design and I think it sounds better than both the US reissue and Russian made pedals. You can get a '70s Small Stone on ebay for a little less than the price of a new US reissue.

Archived