Power Supply for Line6 Tonecore

• Moderators

Do you have one Tonecore pedal or more than one? I find that many 9v adapters will work okay as long as you have only one pedal on it... it is when you run two or more from one adapter that the problems begin.

regards, Jack

• Moderators

Originally posted by telemike

No, the PA-9 cannot power the Tonecore - Line 6 developed them so switching power supplies like the PA-9 will not work....

I have a 9v switching power supply that is not Godlyke so I'll set it up tonight and test a couple of Tonecore's with it.

regards, Jack

• Moderators

Alright, I did some testing of the Tonecore with various power supplies and here are my results...

It of course worked perfectly with the Line 6 power supply, which I noticed is actually 9.6v output... I took the power supply to my bench and measured it with no load and got 9.6v (hmmm, might be regulated)

I had a generic unregulated wall wart and the Tone Core worked well with it also... I didn't measure the output of this one but it was probably putting out 10v or slightly more (I've measured it in the past).

Next I got out the power supply that is supposed to not work well... a regulated 9v switching adapter. This is an item I got on speculation that I might offer them for sale. Measured output was exactly 9v.

The Tonecore worked well from this switching adapter with almost no hum -- I had the Space Chorus going at this time. I was quite surprised.

Okay, let's make this a bit harder... I got out the daisy chain and put a second Tonecore on that same switching adapter... Dr. Distorto running into the Space Chorus. Not a problem!

I changed the SC to a LiquiFlange and then to the Roto-Machine. No problems! I changed the distortion to the Ubermetal and continued to boogie on...

At this point, I'm not having much success getting the pedals to act up, so I switched the distortion out for a Daphon Echo... no noise. I took that off and put on a cheap Ibanez LA Metal before the Tonecore Verbzilla... still no problems.

I could not get it to perform other than completely normal. I'm not saying this is typical as the switching adapter I used is what I consider to be a very good model, and my little 5w tube amp has good grounding. I was using a Strat and my studio is prone to stray RF and hum, but I was able to play at earsplitting volumes without any hum or noise problems!!!

This is certainly not a definitive test, but it does prove several things:

(1) The Tonecore pedals will work with switching adapters

(2) They can be daisy-chained

(3) Other linear adapters work too

regards, Jack

• Members

All I know is that daisychaining with a GodLyke, with the current other pedals I own, made for an awful hum. the Boss adapter works fine with it.

I guess It may depends on what you are daiseychaining it with and where on the chain it is... perhaps?

• Moderators

It is an OEM adapter that I got from a supplier and not for sale as far as I know.

I suspect that the Line 6 adapter would power 2 Tonecores at once, or another pedal plus a a Tonecore... it has enough amps for that, but I've not tested it out.

regards, Jack

• Moderators

Originally posted by telemike

Got the Line6 adapter and godlyke daisy chain. It works to power all my pedals with only slight noise. Eventually will get another power supply for the boss pedals.

Great. Glad it's working for you.

regards, Jack

Archived