The Lamb Dies Down on Broadway Appreciation Thread

Wilbo26

• Members

You know what's funny is that Tony Banks used as many effects on the keyboards as Hackett or Rutherford - MXR Phase 100 (Script Logo, of course), Fender Blender, Roland Space Echo...

Steve Hackett had his signature Supa Tone Bender/Shaftesbury Duo-Fuzz tone going, and he also made liberal use of the EMS Synthi Hi-Fli (the solo on "Counting Out Time" is a prime example). I always thought Peter Gabriel said "Take it away, Mr. Guitar" because he probably thought no one would believe it was a guitar otherwise.

• Members

I considered "Rael Imperial Aeresol Kid" as a user name when I joined up here.

I don't have enough time to explain what this album has meant to me over the years.

By the way - give Wilbo a break - the *LIGHT* does *DIE DOWN* on Broadway on the 4th side :)

When I was in highschool, and the band was headed to state competition - I made a huge banner that said "We're only as strong as the weakest link in the chain - Rael" :D

And remember:

"where the Raven flies - there's jeopardy!"

• Members

Can I just add that "Riding The Scree" is just a friggin amazing song? That strange time sig (can't remember - is it 11/4?), the vocals... and then that screaming keyboard solo... damn.

Struggling down the slope
There's not much hope
I begin to try to ride the scree
But the rocks are tumbling all around me
If I want John alive
I've got to ditch my fear
Take a dive
While I've still got my drive
To survive

edit: it's 9/4. :) I just tapped it out on my desk!

• Members

I think it would have made a fantastic single album. Back when I smoked pot and I was really into epic storytelling I could listen to the whole thing, but on great tunes alone this fall short.
A must buy for Carpet Crawlers, Lamia, Broadway Melody and a couple of other alone though.

Jan

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

I can't get over how great this album is. Well done. I think I like it more than The Wall.

Funny how much I hated this band when I was young and into the Damned/Sex Pistols when they started....Old =[

I have recently been on a buying spree of old Genesis cds.

LOVE this AND Selling England By The Pound.

"But I remembered a voice from the past;

Gambling only pays when you're winning."

:thu: :thu:

• Members

I don't know if they get down as far south as you, but if you ever hear of a band called The Musical Box in your area, you HAVE TO check them out if you are a Genesis freak. They are from Montreal and play VERY faithful Genesis cover stuff. They have researched, found and use all of the same original equipment for the correct time period they are reproducing. I saw them to The Lamb in full, they even had the original concert slide show which I heard the borrowed from Gabriel. I also saw them doing the Selling England tour show.

I'm not a big Genesis fan, but they are still a fantastic show. I'm sure they have a website you can check out to see if they are touring anywhere nearby.

• Members

OH MY GOD
I thought I was the only one on the board listen and really apreciate this monster of an album.
Surely the best concept album of all time for me.
I got a copy in 1978 when I was 9.It blew my mind and made me totally miss out on the punk u.k. scene.
Still have it on rotation,but for those like me,who would like a little more have a crack at this site.I think you all will dig......http://users.netcon.net.au/listen/hogweed/Project.html

• Members

Man I hope they get back together again while all are healthy and can play/sing as well as ever. It should be amazing as their music is not the kind that is best played by young guys with fire in them (Cream/Hendrix/some blues and hard rock). With money now to buy good equipment and sound systems they can have an amazing live show.

I have seen The Musical Box 3 or 4 times, they are amazing too and it was worth driving to CANADA to see THE LAMB show.

• Members

I don't really like The musical Box. I found it was like watching a "play" about Genesis. Don't get me wrong, if you closed you eyes they sound amazingly close to the real thing, (except for the vocals as no one comes close to Peter Gabriel's distinctive vocal sound). But when i saw them there was no interaction with the audience, all the singer would do or say was whatever Peter Gabriel did or said on whatever footage the singer had studied, hence the "play" like feel of the gig. Even my wife who is no expert said there was something weird about the gig.

• Members

Last week all the personel from Lamb got together to talk about rights etc about remastering the old stuff. But Peter Gabriel and Peter Collins anounced that they would like to do the Lamb again, Gabriel was opposed for a long time, and Collings enjoyed himself so much as guest on TMB.
To be continued....

I'd rather have them play stuff from Nursery Crymes and Foxtrot.
And Carpet Crawls and Lamia.

Jan

Archived