ICBM clip - Dead leaves and the dirty ground

JeffreyCH

• Members

ICBM clip here - hopefully it's not too compressed now as I had to slice it from the original MP3 (full song) using Audacity. Guitar is an Eastwood reissue Airline Dlx and amp is Reeves Studio Stage MKII through Reeves 2X12 with Fanes and Avatar 4X12 with Celestion G12H30's. I threw in a little Whammy for kicks (original, not reissue) :D :D :D

Sounds better in person .... :cool:

https://home.comcast.net/~jchenders/ICBM.mp3

• Members

holy {censored}! ok...to be honest i was already thinking "oh god..here come more {censored}ty sounding big muff clone clips" but that thing sounds amazing! or maybe its more that its a good quality recording instead of the computer mic from across the room sounding stuff that people sometimes post. damn...i could go for an ICBM right about now...

• Members

ode2no1 - Thx for the feedback. The guitar track is mostly just an Audix I5 mic (SM57 clone) aimed directly at the Reeves cab and an SM57 a few feet from the Avatar. There are also Rode NT5 small condenser mics overhead for the drums which are amazing and are certainly picking up some of the guitar as well. All of these are straight into a Yamaha AW1600 digital recorder.
I'm still not very good at recording/mixing, but this song came out sounding pretty good I think.

• Members

How's the Icbm compared to the nyc Big Muff? The muff sure has a lot of hiss in the background-is the icbm quieter? How different is the sound? Great clip btw. The overall effect is much like the muff of course, I would just like to know where the improvements are.

• Members

Originally posted by surfcat

How's the Icbm compared to the nyc Big Muff? The muff sure has a lot of hiss in the background-is the icbm quieter? How different is the sound? Great clip btw. The overall effect is much like the muff of course, I would just like to know where the improvements are.

It's an IC based fuzz instead of a transistor fuzz.

The difference is pretty night and day, especially when you are playing them.

The ICBM is more clear and it has a lot more headroom. The tone control is also WAY more effective.

I'd say it's a bit quiteter than a NYC Big Muff. I mean, it is a fuzz, so ther's gonna be SOME noise.

If you layered the two of them on a recording, it would be HUGE.

• Members

Originally posted by State 6000

I used to own an original opamp Big Muff, and it nailed this song too. ...which I guess is expected since the ICBM is a direct clone. My guess is that Jack White doesn't use the transistor version.

I don't know how he could be using the transistor version...it's just won't cut through like the op amp version does.

• Members

It's an IC based fuzz instead of a transistor fuzz.

The difference is pretty night and day, especially when you are playing them.

The ICBM is more clear and it has a lot more headroom. The tone control is also WAY more effective.

I'd say it's a bit quiteter than a NYC Big Muff. I mean, it is a fuzz, so ther's gonna be SOME noise.

If you layered the two of them on a recording, it would be HUGE.

I couldn't have said it better Ty... I tried one of the new Big Muffs and it was way more noisy and the tone control did almost nothing. Needless to say, I took it back to GC and ordered an ICBM. I'm very glad I did. No I don't work for Euthymia. I also dig the Skreddy Top Fuel and Zero clips I've heard. The ICBM nails the White Stripes stuff though.

• Members

Nice clip man. Is that on an overdriven amp or is it set to clean?

I have an ICBM as well and was playing it with (strangely enough) my Whammy II tonight. I made my guitar sound like it was dying (fun! fun!), but this is only on my little champ. I've been having trouble getting the sound I want with it before an overdriven amp.

Also, is it just me or does itnot seem boomy at all? I don't want a ton of boom, but maybe a little.

• Members

Nice clip man. Is that on an overdriven amp or is it set to clean?

I have an ICBM as well and was playing it with (strangely enough) my Whammy II tonight. I made my guitar sound like it was dying (fun! fun!), but this is only on my little champ. I've been having trouble getting the sound I want with it before an overdriven amp.

Also, is it just me or does itnot seem boomy at all? I don't want a ton of boom, but maybe a little.?

Yeah the amp is a little overdriven since the song calls for a slightly overdriven sound when the ICBM is off (during vocals). My amp is essentially a Hiwatt so it is not a high gain amp and it takes pedals very well - with that said, I haven't had any problem getting good tones from the ICBM with the amp overdriven or clean. The Reeves is a tone monster though. I'm not sure what you mean by boom - I get plenty of punch, but I attribute that more to the 75 watt Fane speakers than anything else.

• Members

Originally posted by JeffreyC

Yeah the amp is a little overdriven since the song calls for a slightly overdriven sound when the ICBM is off (during vocals). My amp is essentially a Hiwatt so it is not a high gain amp and it takes pedals very well - with that said, I haven't had any problem getting good tones from the ICBM with the amp overdriven or clean. The Reeves is a tone monster though. I'm not sure what you mean by boom - I get plenty of punch, but I attribute that more to the 75 watt Fane speakers than anything else.

An excessive amount of bass most big muffs are known for, but not in the {censored}ty way the nyc ri does it. And I didn't haev a problem putting the pedal on an overdriven amp, I just didn't like the results. It was on my laney aor pro tube 50 so that was probably set more overdriven than your amp. I use it on my champ, but that's clean/to the point of breaking up.

Archived