G Major, PodXT, PodXTLive

Erocku

• Members

Which would be best between the G Major, PodXT, or PodXT Live (if you have other suggestions, please suggest). I am mostly going to be using it for the effects.

I have a M-Audio FW410 and an SM57 to record my Peavey 6505. So I don't neccessarily need the recording features of the Pod.

Though the Pods would be nice to have for recording or playing at night because I could just use headphones so I don't wake up everyone in the house.

How good are the effects on the pod compared to the G Major?

Also, how easy is it to setup a MIDI controller with the G Major?

If I did go with a Pod, sould I go with XT and get some model packs or go with the XTLive?

• Members

I just sold my XT Live. It was OK. Not great, not bad. I spent alot of time tweaking it and it was decent but not $400 decent. I bought with the same intentions as you - use it in the effects loop of my amp and just use it for effects. On absolute full bypass (as full as the XT Live gets at least), it altered the sound of the amp in a way I did not like. Seemed to make it weaker, thinner, less ballsy. The effects themselves were cool but I just decided I'd rather have a few really good pedals than the XT Live that can do everything just OK. Don't take this as an anti-modeling post. I own and use a Vox AD15VT that I love. If the XT Live had cost me under $200, I'd probably have kept it. I would really suggest trying one with your own amp to see how you like it before buying.

I can't vouch for how it sounds direct. I did not buy it for that purpose and never had the opportunity to try it. I've heard it sound excellent in that application.

• Members

I"ve got a Pod XT and I'd never use it for effects with a real amp. Its bread and butter is the amp & cab modeling, which I'm very satisfied with. I don't even really use very many of its effects anymore. If I was in the market for a multi effects unit, I'd probably get the G Major (out of your choices) or maybe check out some of the Boss models. Although the GT-8 and its siblings might also do modeling... I'm not very familiar with them.

Archived