Replacement Pups for Telecaster Deluxe

lagrange

• Members

hi. i tried searching through past threads but am coming up empty.

any suggestions on replacement pup's for a telecaster deluxe? it's a mim, and the pups that came with it are awful. i would like to keep the integrity of the way the originals look but have them be better. i play mainly indie/space rock stuff through a deluxe reverb and some boutique fuzz/distortion pedals. thanks for any help!

• Members

Originally posted by lagrange

any suggestions on replacement pup's for a telecaster deluxe? it's a mim, and the pups that came with it are awful. i would like to keep the integrity of the way the originals look but have them be better. i play mainly indie/space rock stuff through a deluxe reverb and some boutique fuzz/distortion pedals. thanks for any help!

The neck pickup sucks, but the bridge ain't so bad.

There is someone out there selling replacements that don't require routing, but they are expensive. There was a thread on here just a few days ago about this.

• Members
Originally posted by Mr. Twang

Is it an original Tele Deluxe or a reissue? If it's an original, those pickups are flippin awesome and ought not to be changed. If it's a reissue, get yourself a pair of original Wide Range Humbuckers and be done with it.

+1 :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

the original wide range pu's are hard to come by.. you might want to check into having the stock pu's fixed up by fralin or someone like that... might be able to make them sound as good as the originals

Yeah, I see them on Ebay from time to time, but having the ones that came with your guitar rewound by a pro like Fralin is a really good idea too.

• Members

Before you go changing the pickups, try this:

- replace the pots. For some reason Fender puts 250K pots instead of 500K pots on their MIM Teles with Wide Range Humbuckers. The japanese have the proper 500K pots. Will help with the mud

- while you're at it, replace the cheap tone caps with Hovland Musicaps .022uF -- makes the tone knob much more useful and also clears up the mud (very common upgrade on Les Pauls)

- finally, play around with the pickup height. They have a very, very small sweet spot.

If you do these things and it still doesn't sound good, go ahead and look for some original WRH pickuups (good luck). But if you don't do these things, a change of pickups won't help much, if at all.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

- replace the pots. For some reason Fender puts 250K pots instead of 500K pots on their MIM Teles with Wide Range Humbuckers. The japanese have the proper 500K pots. Will help with the mud

- while you're at it, replace the cheap tone caps with Hovland Musicaps .022uF -- makes the tone knob much more useful and also clears up the mud (very common upgrade on Les Pauls)

- finally, play around with the pickup height. They have a very, very small sweet spot.

If you do these things and it still doesn't sound good, go ahead and look for some original WRH pickuups (good luck). But if you don't do these things, a change of pickups won't help much, if at all.

How do you do these upgrades, and where do you get the parts?

• Members

Originally posted by hookstrapped

Before you go changing the pickups, try this:

I had one of these guitars and changed the volume pots to 500K. Didn't help much.

• Members

Originally posted by lagrange

Either get a new pickguard routed for standard humbuckers so you can choose from the zillions of aftermarket pickups available today.

Or try these: http://www.riograndepickups.com/3.html#72tele Except I don't think these are available with the chrome covers so you'll lose the stock look of the originals.

• Members

Originally posted by Aster Blistok

if you want to change them, maybe you can try with SD seth lover's.

3 problems with this:

1. They won't fit, he'd need a custom pickguard.

2.The SD Seth Lovers are copies of the original PAF pickups Seth Lover developed for Gibson. The original Fender Wider Range pickups (also developed by Seth Lover) are completely different in design and tone. Both are humbuckers though.

3. The bridge SD Seth Lover's pole spacing is better for Gibsons. The strat-hardtail bridge used on Tele Deluxes and 72 Tele Thinlines are wider spaced and better fit one of SD's "Trembucker" spaced humbuckers.

taco

Archived