Jump to content

OT: anyone here take Adderall?


(((echo)))

Recommended Posts

  • Members
Originally posted by IAmAScientist

I took Adderall XR for a couple of days a few weeks ago after trying it when I was in college. That {censored} kept me up all night for three nights straight, though it did make me slightly calmer and gave me that "I'm on speed" feeling. It was cool, I suppose.





hmm that's not good.. i've got a hard enough time falling to sleep at night :rolleyes:

were you taking more than the prescribed amount?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

I've heard that it does wonders for ADHD but there seem to be some pretty serious potential side effects... if it's not too much trouble I'd like to hear from anyone who's on it about how it works for you... good and bad

 

 

I was on adderall for over a year, and I will never touch that {censored} again. At first it was great...better than ritalin ever was at managing the symptoms-- I was able to work more quickly and meticiously . However, after a couple months I started having panic attacks, sweating a lot, experiencing elevated heart rate...and insane insomnia. I forget the exact details, but I kicked that {censored} after going for about two weeks with about 11 hours of sleep. I sat up in bed one night after trying to sleep for a few hours and heard myself start screaming...and I couldn't stop it for what seemed like a long long time. Scared the {censored} out of myself and my wife.

 

No, I do not recommend the stuff. I've also read that it's led to serious heart problem and even death with some poor kids.

 

It works great until it drives you {censored}ing crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

sounds like you guys have anxiety and panic issues. I think adderal is a bad mix for that. maybe you need a benzo like klonopin.

 

 

Adderall is definitely bad for folks with anxiety issues. But benzo's present problems of their own and don't really help with adhd symptoms. Personally, I've haven't found any non-stimulant drug helpfull for adhd ( I've tried numerous anti-depressants and straterra)...and all the stimulants can drastically increase the effects of anxiety. However, I've found that with the right dose of ritalin I feel less stress than I did when I was off all medication...simply because I'm able to focus better and get more work done with the drugs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I've been on the stuff for almost 2 years. It's a constant battle between taking care of my ADD and side effects. It lowers my appetite which isn't good, so I kind of have to make myself eat regularly. It was bad for my sleeping habits for a while until I just decided that I couldn't keep up and forced myself to sleep more. I think it's bad for people who already have trouble sleeping, but only because it enables you to sleep less. You just have to control yourself a little. It also made me nervous and gives me some anxiety. But I realized that that was mostly connected to my sleep and eating habits. So if I eat well and sleep well the side effects are very minor.

The good side is that I feel more normal. I can get work done. I can do rather boring tasks without feeling like I'm going crazy all the time. And it gives me innitiative to do stuff that I'd usually be too lazy to do.

I'd say give it a try. The first few days will probably be a huge kick in the ass until your body gets used to it. Give it a month and try hard to eat and sleep well.

I'm currently taking 30mg of XR if that's relevant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

for the most part add or adhd is similiar to ocd in fact ocd is a version of add, so maybe an antidepressant with non stimulating properties would help. I get panic attacks myself. I have trouble focusing because of panic. I haven't found a medication that works for me yet either. diet and excercise is extremely important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

for the most part add or adhd is similiar to ocd in fact ocd is a version of add, so maybe an antidepressant with non stimulating properties would help. I get panic attacks myself. I have trouble focusing because of panic. I haven't found a medication that works for me yet either. diet and excercise is extremely important.

 

 

I've never heard that...do you have any references I could check out (not flaming, I'm genuinely curious). I've heard speculation that add is a kind of autism...but I think that's still a fairly contraversial claim (though I lost track of the literature a few years ago).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

I should mention that I didn't try the xr, and I bet the xr might mitigate the intensity of some of the side effects...however, I strongly recommend you try ritalin/concerta before you try aderall. I don't think that the side effects are nearly as severe.

 

 

I've also taken Ritalin XR (I think it was XR) and it seemed to be very similar to Adderall XR except for it not lasting as long. So maybe that says something about regular Adderall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

There is a doctor named dr. amen who has a book called healing depression and anxiety. He explains that OCD is a form of ADD, and ADD and OCD are both considered anxiety disorders. And certain centers of the brain that create these issues are linked with each other. Some people who think they have ADD really have OCD and vice versa. They are similiar and really much andthe same. But there is different forms so its quite an elaborate read. But the general idea is that ADD and OCD are part of the anxiety group and are very similiar and some treatments overlap. Also if you have anxiety you are almost guaranteed to have some depression, as they are comorbid with each other and nearly always exist together. lastly some of this can be up for debate, but it shows that some understanding of these conditions are being sorted out. Dr. amen specializes in brain scanning and imaging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by troubbble



I've also taken Ritalin XR (I think it was XR) and it seemed to be very similar to Adderall XR except for it not lasting as long. So maybe that says something about regular Adderall?

 

 

Ritalin XR was pretty useless for me...it didn't last long, it didn't have much of an effect and I felt like {censored} coming off of it. Concerta (which is just ritalin with a different sustained release mechanism) has been much more effective for me...however, I'm not sure if all or most insurance plans cover it ( I don't think that there is a generic equivalent)...my insurance covers part of it but I still pay quite a buttload for it each month. If you can afford it, I recommend it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

There is a doctor named dr. amen who has a book called healing depression and anxiety. He explains that OCD is a form of ADD, and ADD and OCD are both considered anxiety disorders. And certain centers of the brain that create these issues are linked with each other. Some people who think they have ADD really have OCD and vice versa. They are similiar and really much andthe same. But there is different forms so its quite an elaborate read. But the general idea is that ADD and OCD are part of the anxiety group and are very similiar and some treatments overlap. Also if you have anxiety you are almost guaranteed to have some depression, as they are comorbid with each other and nearly always exist together. lastly some of this can be up for debate, but it shows that some understanding of these conditions are being sorted out. Dr. amen specializes in brain scanning and imaging.

 

 

sweet, I'll have to take a look. thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate



Ritalin XR was pretty useless for me...it didn't last long, it didn't have much of an effect and I felt like {censored} coming off of it. Concerta (which is just ritalin with a different sustained release mechanism) has been much more effective for me...however, I'm not sure if all or most insurance plans cover it ( I don't think that there is a generic equivalent)...my insurance covers part of it but I still pay quite a buttload for it each month. If you can afford it, I recommend it.

 

 

I could talk to my doc about it. I'm pretty happy with the adderall right now, but I'd be willing to go for some experimentation.

 

I think it's really weird how different things affect people with the same problems so differently. There's really no predicting how you or I would react to a different drug. It's interesting hearing about these things from different people. You know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by troubbble



I could talk to my doc about it. I'm pretty happy with the adderall right now, but I'd be willing to go for some experimentation.


I think it's really weird how different things affect people with the same problems so differently. There's really no predicting how you or I would react to a different drug. It's interesting hearing about these things from different people. You know?

 

 

When I suggested tryin concerta first, I was talking at (((echo)))...as long as adderall is working for you, and your blood pressure is good and the other side effects aren't ruining your life, I wouldn't recommend switching. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

 

'cause you're right...different things work for different people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate



When I suggested tryin concerta first, I was talking at (((echo)))...as long as adderall is working for you, and your blood pressure is good and the other side effects aren't ruining your life, I wouldn't recommend switching. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.


'cause you're right...different things work for different people.

 

 

I guess so. But I'm still up for experimentation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

thanks for the input so far..

i'm a little afraid of trying ritalin again.. i was put on it as a young kid and i guess it made me very aggressive.. i was pulled off of it quickly. i don't really have any anxiety or depression problems.. i can cope through most things pretty well so maybe i'll be alright in that area

a little appetite suppressant wouldn't be a bad thing for me.. i have trouble controlling my appetite so that might actually be a bonus. sleep sounds like the biggest problem for me.. my blood pressure isn't high for the most part but it can get really high when i'm stressed or active so that might be a problem

i have to do something.. i struggled all through school and figured that i've mellowed out a lot over the last few years that i'd be ok in college but it's worse than ever... i just can't keep up with the work, i get distracted way to easy and nothing seems to stick with me... just like when i was a kid

i'm withdrawing from school for the second semester in a row and it's very disheartening. i'm capable of doing extremely well but i just cannot focus for the life of me... i have to find a way to get it together for next semester.

the {censored}ty thing is we really think my daughter is ADHD as well... she's such a smart kid and i don't want her going through what i have :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...