My birthday is monday - should I get a Super Duper 2 in 1?

Alexbiscuit

• Members

I am kinda sick of my jekyll and hyde's distortion and my bigmuff is about ready to take residence in a dumpster.

I want a real nice sound out of my twin reverb that isnt too gainy at all but has a nice little crunch, as well as having more a shimmer to my cleans that I understand the clean section of the SHO can give me.

would this be a good choice?

p.s. im running off to lunch and dont have time to check, how much do they run for usually?

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by themeanreds

If it's crunch you are after, the Super Duper is fantastic. As far as shimmer for your cleans-it's a Twin. Do ya really need that?

at bedroom levels sorry (dorm rooms actually).

youre right I dont need that, I just want it to be even sparklier ;) the image of the sound (if that makes sense) in my head that I want when I record things is the most shimmering sparkling cleans.

• Members

Originally posted by Alexbiscuit

at bedroom levels sorry (dorm rooms actually).

In my experience, a Twin at such volumes sounds about as good as a mediocre solid state amp.

I would skip the pedal and get a smaller amp.

There are some killer deals in the price range of a Super Duper; scores of 1-20 watt tube amps which would be terrific for ya. There are also some excellent solid-state amps; the Roland Microcube, for example, sounds much better to my ears than most tube amps at ultra-low volumes.

• Members

thanks for the suggestion, but I can just go downstairs in my room and play my amp loud when I need to record, but when I can't it's gotta be low. I'd rather skip the smaller amp and just get this pedal to better my cleans for recording and live, and apparently the breakup sounds amazing.

• Members

I love the hell out of the SD2in1, but as others have already said I think your Twin might be too clean for it to get nice and dirty at reasonable levels. When I played the SD through a clean amp I got crazy volume boost before it started to break up. I really dug the tonebone Classic when I played it through a twin. You might wanna try 'em both out at Maken' Music. That place is nuts.

• Members

I haven't been there for a couple months. I believe they had a reissue Twin and a few silver face Fenders. Wasn't looking for a Twin so I can't say for sure. Give 'em a call. The new place is nice. It's a bit bigger w/ more sound rooms. I've always found their staff to be really helpful too. Alright, I'm starting to feel like a commercial now. I better get a check for this.

Good luck and enjoy your B-day!

• Members

quoting myself from the SHO thread:

Originally posted by hookstrapped

Just got mine. Wow.

So that's what happens when you cascade a couple freaking crazy boosts with a master volume to control the mayhem.

My DRRI never sounded like that. It loves being punished by the 2in1. And my Vox sounds even more like a Vox.

Sweet, sweet amp distortion -- at bedroom levels.

All those other pedals -- OD, distortion, fuzz -- make your amp sound like this and that, which can be cool (actually, I only like fuzz because OD and distortion seem like pale imitations wheras fuzz doesn't pretend to be 'natural'). But to hear your amp sound like your amp, sweating and grinding from its loins; then kick it up with a twist of ch. 1 or ch. 2 and get sounds from deep within its bowels and its electrically tortured soul...

Well, that's special.

:eek:

:love::wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Alexbiscuit

I am kinda sick of my jekyll and hyde's distortion and my bigmuff is about ready to take residence in a dumpster.

I want a real nice sound out of my twin reverb that isnt too gainy at all but has a nice little crunch, as well as having more a shimmer to my cleans that I understand the clean section of the SHO can give me.

would this be a good choice?

p.s. im running off to lunch and dont have time to check, how much do they run for usually?

thanks

What dumpster exactly would that be?

Archived