Boost clipping pedals down the line . . . what to do?

bobby yarrow

• Members

So, I'm very pleased with my newly-acquired big-box gainster. I really want to crank the boost all the way up, but I wind up getting the red-dot clip warning from my moog phaser. If I turn the input on the phaser down, I can't get enough volume out of it, even with the output wide open.

Right. All you guys using SHO's or other boosts, what do you do about this? You're not putting your boosts at the end of the line, are you?

• Members

Originally posted by bobby yarrow

You're not putting your boosts at the end of the line, are you?

That seems like the obvious solution.

I have my boost in the effects loop followed by a Voodoo Labs tremelo and a Line6 delay. It doesn't seem to affect them. You say the Moog's clip light is coming on, but does it sound like it is actually distorting or causing sound problems?

• Members

Originally posted by UnderTheGroove

You say the Moog's clip light is coming on, but does it sound like it is actually distorting or causing sound problems?

I'm kind of a moron. No, turns out, not a problem. And, actually, I'd been mis-reading the moogerfooger lights. The light goes green, yellow, red, which I assumed was Good, Soft Clip, Clip. Turns out, yellow is optimum signal, and the soft clip is very soft at my level.

Thanks.

Archived