Throbak effects

shepherdspy

• Members

i just bought the overdrive boost(colorsound overdriver clone) and i like it so far. im thinking about picking up the stone bender too, since hes running that deal on 2 pedals. i dont need another dirt pedal though. anyway, he makes quality stuff that sounds good, and is a nice and informative guy. really worth checking out.

• Members

4Kenoath,

I thought I should speak up though since this concerns the products I make and my business.

I have no control over who posts a review of my products on Harmony Central. If some joker wants to do something moronic I cannot stop them.

I let the sound clips and the quality of my products speak for themselves. I use the same amp , mic and guitars for all clips so you can make a real comparison between the pedals.

I have a 5 day trail period so my customers are the ultimate judge of the tone. Fortunately for all the vast, vast majority are very happy with them.

Jon Gundry
Owner of Throbak Electronics
www.throbak.com

• Members
Originally posted by Throbak

4Kenoath,

I thought I should speak up though since this concerns the products I make and my business.

I have no control over who posts a review of my products on Harmony Central. If some joker wants to do something moronic I cannot stop them.

I let the sound clips and the quality of my products speak for themselves. I use the same amp , mic and guitars for all clips so you can make a real comparison between the pedals.

I have a 5 day trail period so my customers are the ultimate judge of the tone. Fortunately for all the vast, vast majority are very happy with them.

Jon Gundry

www.throbak.com

Hmmm, well they were definitely dodgey reviews all in a row. We had a thread about it a while back and everyone seemed to be in agreement about that.

Why would anyone submit fake reviews in your favour? That's a reasonable question people will ask. If I were you, I'd check them out and ask for the suspicous ones to be removed. You can tell which one's without too much trouble.

Leaving them there won't be good for your reputation (ie. Krank style debarkle a while back).

• Members

4Kenoath,

I checked out all of the Throbak user reviews and was able to trace all of them to their source and they are all legit. I usually get links from users when they submit a review and I do have a customer who submitted reviews for all 3 of his Throbak pedals. He told me that after submitting reviews twice and not having them posted by Harmony Central in desperation he posted them under three different obviously fake names, Sam, Saul and Steeve, his real name is Ryan. Well these are the ones that posted. I wish he had not done this but he did and he loves his Throbak effects.

I believe you have me confused with someone else.

I have no reviews with all 10's.

You stated that there was a previous thread critical of Throbak reviews. I could find no such thread.

If your talking about me prove it. If not, correct your mistake.

Thanks,
Jon Gundry
www.throbak.com

• Members

Well, I think it has been established this is not like the Krank debacle. That was a matter of systematic manipulation. This just seems like an an over eager reviewer not directed by the manufacturer. Maybe Lehman can edit out the duplicates or Mr. Throbak could post in the review section stating what he stated here. That would clear things up. I haven't even looked in the darn review section lately.

Mr. Throbak, you'll have to pardon Jimbo. Most of the time he just plays devil's advocate, which is fine and necessary, but he's gotten a little bitter lately. I think he has good intentions. I don't want your HC forum experience to be bad. It is difficult though, you have to be thick skinned, we have a lot of... interesting folks. It is like a biker bar compared to the gear page. :)

Your effects look and sound great judging by the sounds samples. I love Page and it seems like you do too, so :thu: and more power to ya.

• Members

Shepherdspy,

Thanks for the nice words. I have been in business long enough to know that there is no point in having customers if they are not satisfied and also that the best customer of all is the repeat customer. It would be truly ironic if the second part of that equation penalized me.

I also recognize that people can be mistaken about their impressions of others so hopefully 4Kenoath will clear up any mistakes he may have made.

I have actually avoided the Harmony Central forum because I think it provides a unique service and did not want to be considered a spammer. I will be speaking up now when I think it is appropriate.

By the way the Stone Bender sounds fantastic with higher wattage amps also.

• Members

4Kenoath,

I checked out all of the Throbak user reviews and was able to trace all of them to their source and they are all legit. I usually get links from users when they submit a review and I do have a customer who submitted reviews for all 3 of his Throbak pedals. He told me that after submitting reviews twice and not having them posted by Harmony Central in desperation he posted them under three different obviously fake names, Sam, Saul and Steeve, his real name is Ryan. Well these are the ones that posted. I wish he had not done this but he did and he loves his Throbak effects.

I believe you have me confused with someone else.

I have no reviews with all 10's.

You stated that there was a previous thread critical of Throbak reviews. I could find no such thread.

If your talking about me prove it. If not, correct your mistake.

Thanks,

Jon Gundry

www.throbak.com

Hi Jon, yes, I made a slight exaggeration about the reviews in question by saying "all 10's"...they were highly scored with mostly 10's in the 'Sound' and 'Overall' categories. Excuse that error.

The original thread about the Throbak reviews definitely existed but is no longer on the board (probably too old now) so I can't refer you to that. I can tell you that you personally weren't attacked or even mentioned in that thread. It centred mainly on these reviews which were clearly posted by the same person within minutes of each other, and which generally aroused suspician at the time.

You've cleared up why that would be the case and why they were all under different names (something that would normally look questionable). May be HC can have all those reviews under the same name so no one else inadvertantly gets the wrong idea.

As far as participating on this board...I'd welcome you to do that given a lot of makers post here in a non-spammish way and I think the general consensus is that it's one of the things that make this board more interesting. I think it would also be indirectly worthwhile for your business as well. ;)

So I've become a bitter old devil's advocate...thanks Doc Shepherd...lol. :D

Seriously, this is an example of 'not shooting the messengers'. I'd want to know if reviews of my product were leading to inaccurate assumptions by potential buyers, and that was exactly what the original thread revealed. I don't recall anyone disagreeing with that view at the time.

Anyway, good luck with your pedal business Jon.;)

• Members

Jimbo,

Thanks for the thoughtful and serious response.
I'm not one to shoot the messenger. So thanks for pointing out a problem I was not aware of.
I am going to see what can be done about getting the same name on all 3 of those reviews.

I know boutique pedals can be a bit of a mystery to the new buyer that is why I try to be as helpful and clear as I can about my products with standardized sound clips and detailed answers to customers questions. I think forums like this are also very important and I'm glad to welcomed here as a maker and will contribute when appropriate.

I look forward to adding to the discussion.:)

By the way I have several customers in Australia. In fact one of the very first Stone Benders I sold went to a guy in Australia. He plays it with his Telecaster and loves it. You may just stumble across a ThroBak pedal. If you do let us know what you think.:thu:

Jon Gundry

• Members
Originally posted by Ty Gerhardt

Those pedals look pretty cool.

Being a Tele player I have always wanted to get my hands on a good Tone Bender clone, but I haven't found one that I have liked yet. Maybe this one will fit the bill.
:)

The pre gain switch and the color switch modifications that I added to the circuit make the Stone Bender very flexible with a Telecaster and a Les Paul. It will get you where you want to go with single coils and humbuckers.

• Members

The pre gain switch and the color switch modifications that I added to the circuit make the Stone Bender very flexible with a Telecaster and a Les Paul. It will get you where you want to go with single coils and humbuckers.

Awesome...I think I'll be picking up a Stone Bender and a Overdrive Boost (you had me at Marc Bolan) soon.

• Members

Ty,

You probably know this but if you are thinking about getting both the Stone Bender and the Overdrive Boost if you buy any two pedals I will knock $25.00 off the total until the end of the year as part of my holiday sale.

The Overdrive Boost is a very flexible pedal and complements the Stone Bender. You will not be duplicating any tones if you get both.

• Members

Looks like I spoke too soon. Someone just posted an all 10's review of the Stone Bender! lol! And yes it is from a genuine paying customer.

By the way in the review the guy mentions that I offer a discount on a second pedal. This only applies to my holiday sale I have running right now and is not my normal pricing structure. This holiday sale will not likely be an annual event so take advantage if you are interested.

Jon Gundry
President Throbak Electronics

• Members

Looks like I spoke too soon. Someone just posted an all 10's review of the Stone Bender! lol! And yes it is from a genuine paying customer.

By the way in the review the guy mentions that I offer a discount on a second pedal. This only applies to my holiday sale I have running right now and is not my normal pricing structure. This holiday sale will not likely be an annual event so take advantage if you are interested.

Jon Gundry

President Throbak Electronics

Heya Jon,

I am definitely going to get them. I get paid on the first (I get paid once a month at my job)...if I order them on January 1st, can I still get the discount?

• Members

Hi Ty,

Yes, if you order on Jan. 1st the discount is still good. In fact for the truly cash strapped I don't mind letting the deadline slide a tad as long as you contact me before the end of the sale and let me know that you are serious about purchasing some pedals.

Jon

• Members

Hi Ty,

Yes, if you order on Jan. 1st the discount is still good. In fact for the truly cash strapped I don't mind letting the deadline slide a tad as long as you contact me before the end of the sale and let me know that you are serious about purchasing some pedals.

Jon

Cool. I look forward to adding them to my rig. We're working on new material right now and I like to have a lot of new pedals at my disposal for creating new sounds for our tunes.

Archived