Has anybody used a HellBilly?

El Gallo Negro

• Members

The clips sound awesome, so I want to find out some things. How well does it interact with other pedals, does it have to be first, before or after a wah, will it work well as a lead boost after an OCD, does it turn your guitar's volume knob into only a gain knob, etc?

Many questions, I know. Thanks in advance for any info.

• Members

The Hellbilly has not left my pedalboard since the day I got it.

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro

How well does it interact with other pedals

My chain for guitar right now is as follows:

Big Cheese fuzz copy

Hellbilly

Proco Vintage Rat RI or modded Boss DS-1 or modded Boss DS-2

DOD 440 envelope filter copy

Ibanez DE-7 delay/echo

Z-vex Super Duper (first channel always on, use 2nd for a bit more crunch)

The Hellbilly jibes wonderfully with all of the pedals, and in a few different ways. On fat Fuzz-Face settings, it sings on its own or with the other dirt pedals. Using it as a dirty boost, it can slam the next dirt pedal in line into insanity; sounds like a sparking live wire. Finally, it can cop a very unique overdrive tone which also sounds great on its own or with the other pedals.

does it have to be first,

I assume you mean does it have to be before any buffered pedals? Not sure, as the big cheese copy that is first in my chain is true-bypass.

before or after a wah,

I don't use a wah. I love it running into the envelope filter, though.

will it work well as a lead boost after an OCD,

It won't do a totally clean boost; this is not a "transparent" pedal. It will affect the tone of whatever is before it when on. I've never tried it as a lead boost after an overdrive, so I'm not sure how that would go.

does it turn your guitar's volume knob into only a gain knob

It cleans up beautifully when you hit softer or back off the guitar's volume.

I also use this pedal in my bass rig sometimes. It is basically a Fuzz Face, so it gets muddy and splatty when used alone with bass. For some reason, though, it is a kick-ass dirty boost running into my modded Boss ODB-3, DS-1, or BD-2 for bass. Things just get raunchy and out of control in a very good way.

• Members

Originally posted by The Lamb

397523.jpg

Can not describe much, but I love it ......
:D

You know, your board has a couple of important similarities to mine, because I use both the Tone Press and the OCD. I leave the Tone Press on most of the time, and the OCD as well, and I would be looking to put the Hellbilly after those two, for leads. Do you think this would work well?

• Members

You know, your board has a couple of important similarities to mine, because I use both the Tone Press and the OCD. I leave the Tone Press on most of the time, and the OCD as well, and I would be looking to put the Hellbilly after those two, for leads. Do you think this would work well?

It should work just fine.

• Members

I think so. :thu:

Archived