The NEW Zoom A2 acoustic effects pedal! Any comments?

i like guitars

• Members

I ordered an A2.1u on Sweetwater in mid Oct and have been waiting since.

I am not happy with my Carvin AE185's piezo sound and was hoping an acoustic effect can do some magic for it.

I thought about getting an Zoom 504II or Korg AX10A, but Zoom's A2 series seem worth waiting as G2's feedbacks/reviews are so good.

Sweetwater updated me the estimate shipping date of A2.1u is 12/19. Though A2 should be available earlier.

According to some Japenese website, A2 is available now and A2.1 is expected to be available at the end of Dec.

And unfortunately that G7.1 and G9.2's release date is not available yet.

I will post something once I receive my A2.1u.

If you get A2 anytime sooner, please do post your feedback/review.

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by jelin

:)

I got the email from sweetwater. My zoom a2.1u is shipped today. Hopefully, I will get it by the end of the week.

I'll find how it is.

That's awesome! I called Sweetwater and they said that the base A2 could be shipped out to me on the 19th of this month, so I could have it for the 21st. So naturally I preordered it, but I'm waiting for your analysis before I go ahead with the order!

• Members

OK.

I got my A2.1u today. I've played with it for a couple of hours...

Here is just my impressions so far.

Guitars I use to test,

Carvin AE185 with piezo under the saddle

Carvin DC127C with active eletronic

This is my very first acoustic guitar effect and

I only have one Ibanez PF5 acoustic guitar to compare with. So my observations might be somehow misleading...

I first plugged it into my Ibanez 35w bass amp (please do not laugh, that is the only amp I have). I was somewhat disappointed by the tones as I played through the preset patches.

As I switched to a full range headphone, the tones came amazingly.

All the modulations, delays/reverb are superb, just like its brother G2. It is dead quiet compared to my PodXt.

I love some of the "models", like Martin D-28, Gibson J-200, Ovation. I love those models. Again, I don't how close they sound compared to the real things. Nylon is nowhere near a nylon string guitar, for sure that I can tell. ;) the few Resonators are unique, but I don't feel they are close (from what I can remember how a resonator should sound like). I don't like resonators much anyway.

Some presets are pretty cool.

I also tried it with my Carvin DC127 just for my curiousity. It worked not bad, though not as good as AE185 with piezo. But it is WAY much better than Boss AC-2 as an Acoustic guitar simulator.

I am going to play with it with tweaking the settings to see how good it can be. It also has settings for different types of pickups and amp (de-amp), so hopefully I can tweak it to work with my amp. But for a full range PA would be the best choice.

I did not think I would need the expression pedal. I chose A2.1u instead of A2 for the USB recording. But I found the pedal is nice to have to control other settings during the performance.

I love that it takes battery. I wish my PodXt could do that too.

It is too bad that it does not have ant program to edit/save patches on a PC through USB.

This is what I got so far. Hope that helps. I like it much overall.

It gives me much more flexibility on the acoustic side. It was limited with my PodXt. Not to mention that PodXt's effects suck.

I'll post more as I continue to explore more.

• Members

OK.

I got my A2.1u today. I've played with it for a couple of hours...

Here is just my impressions so far.

Guitars I use to test,

Carvin AE185 with piezo under the saddle

Carvin DC127C with active eletronic

This is my very first acoustic guitar effect and

I only have one Ibanez PF5 acoustic guitar to compare with. So my observations might be somehow misleading...

I first plugged it into my Ibanez 35w bass amp (please do not laugh, that is the only amp I have). I was somewhat disappointed by the tones as I played through the preset patches.

As I switched to a full range headphone, the tones came amazingly.

All the modulations, delays/reverb are superb, just like its brother G2. It is dead quiet compared to my PodXt.

I love some of the "models", like Martin D-28, Gibson J-200, Ovation. I love those models. Again, I don't how close they sound compared to the real things. Nylon is nowhere near a nylon string guitar, for sure that I can tell.
;)
the few Resonators are unique, but I don't feel they are close (from what I can remember how a resonator should sound like). I don't like resonators much anyway.

Some presets are pretty cool.

I also tried it with my Carvin DC127 just for my curiousity. It worked not bad, though not as good as AE185 with piezo. But it is WAY much better than Boss AC-2 as an Acoustic guitar simulator.

I am going to play with it with tweaking the settings to see how good it can be. It also has settings for different types of pickups and amp (de-amp), so hopefully I can tweak it to work with my amp. But for a full range PA would be the best choice.

I did not think I would need the expression pedal. I chose A2.1u instead of A2 for the USB recording. But I found the pedal is nice to have to control other settings during the performance.

I love that it takes battery. I wish my PodXt could do that too.

It is too bad that it does not have ant program to edit/save patches on a PC through USB.

This is what I got so far. Hope that helps. I like it much overall.

It gives me much more flexibility on the acoustic side. It was limited with my PodXt. Not to mention that PodXt's effects suck.

I'll post more as I continue to explore more.

Sounds like it's a good system to me. Thanks so much for posting a review!

But a few questions if you don't mind! What does the phaser sound like? And, can you get some semi-electric tones with it, or is it just straight acoustic modulations and effects, like can you get some spacey-warm effects/tones with it? I don't know what i'm saying here...:thu:

Thanks again!

• Members

Originally posted by i like guitars

Sounds like it's a good system to me. Thanks so much for posting a review!

But a few questions if you don't mind! What does the phaser sound like? And, can you get some semi-electric tones with it, or is it just straight acoustic modulations and effects, like can you get some spacey-warm effects/tones with it? I don't know what i'm saying here...
:thu:

Thanks again!

1. I don't know to describe the phaser for you exactly, except saying it is nice.

2. There are few modulations/reverba/delays that G2 does not have. I am not sure if those are particularly for acoustic instruments. But as far as I can tell for those common effects are no different from those for electric guitars. I plugged a regular guitar and turn the "model", it sounds just like electric guitar on a clean channel with effects.

3. Coming from PodXt, A2's reverbs (actually most of the effects) are execellent. I love PodXt, but its modulations/delays/reverb are so fake, very difficult to get good results. If it not for some short comings of A2, I would really buy a G2.1u.

Hope I answered your questions. I still have not played with tweaking the individual models/effects enough to say much further.

I really love the Martin D-28 model sound. At first I don't like its resonator models, but I've they can be useful in some situations. Though I just don't know how close all the models compared to the real things.

I don't think the de-amp can do much for me. Though after tweaking my amp (bass) I can get the same sound out of it as of my headphone.

I think it works best with piezo. (don't know how it works with acoustic with a magnetic pickup). For electric guitars, it can produce very convincing acoustic sounds, but it lacks of the resonance of an acoustic guitar. And also 9' string makes it sound a little bit fake. But again, it is convincing for electtric guitars.

--

I hate the 2 digit LED display. It will take me quite a while to remember all those 2 digit codes represent.

I really miss the ability of editing/storing patches through USB on PC. It does not have it. Hopefully, maybe Zoom would be able to release some utility program or somebody would be able to write one.

--

I am taking it to my church on Sunday to try it out

• Members

I really miss the ability of editing/storing patches through USB on PC. It does not have it. Hopefully, maybe Zoom would be able to release some utility program or somebody would be able to write one.

"It is too bad that it does not have ant program to edit/save patches on a PC through USB."

:eek::rolleyes::bor::mad: what good is it then (the patch edit software)?

Can you post a screenshot? thanks!!

Excuse the poor english. fully sauced ATM. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Willie-Mctell

"It is too bad that it does not have ant program to edit/save patches on a PC through USB."

:eek::rolleyes::bor::mad:
what good is it then (the patch edit software)?

Can you post a screenshot? thanks!!

Excuse the poor english. fully sauced ATM.
:cool:

There is no patch edit software provided. I don't see anything came with it or about the software mentioned in the manual or the product page. It just does not have it.

I read some guy posted in G2.1u's product review of this website that he emailed Zoom and got the reply that there is no patch editor for G2.1. I would assume the same is applied to A2.1/B2.1.

• Members

Last question: Would you recommend this pedal to people?

I recommend it.

The bottom line:

1. It makes my Carvin AE185 comes alive on the acoustic side. (I expect this works the same to all electric guitars with piezo)

2. It also does a very good (not excellent) job (usable, convincing)as an acoustic guitar simulator for regular electric guitars.

3. Execellent Effects.

4. Few models are great, the rest of them are good & usable, except the Nylon model.

5. Portability (size & it takes batteries)

--

This is my very first acoustic effect. I don't know how it is compared to some high end Boss acoustic product, Yamaha magic stomp, and Korg AX10A. I found this does the job for me.

I don't know how well it does when it is used with an regular acoustic/electric guitar as I have not tried it. I would think it would be excellent.

There are few things that I don't like mentioned in my earlier posts.

• Members

Sad news from Sweetwater....

The Zoom factory has been backlogged with requests for this pedal, so instead of receiving the pedals taday, they will NOW be receiving them on February 8th, 2006.

This sucks.

I am glad that I did not pull my order after I placed it in Oct.

So it seems like it is drawing a lot of attention (orders).

I do found there are a couple of guys (stores) are selling A2.1u on eBay if you are interested.

I don't know those guys, so I cannot vouch for those.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ZOOM-A2-1U-Acoustic-Pedal-USB-Exp-Pedal-FREE-UPS_W0QQitemZ7375043517QQcategoryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Zoom-A2-1U-ACOUSTIC-EFFECTS-PEDAL-w-USB_W0QQitemZ7375853867QQcategoryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Archived