amplified clicking when i turn my effect on/off...

dissinagrace

• Members

what's up all

i recently added an MXR phase 90 to my rig, and i had a question/concern about it. i've seen a lot of guitarists use that same lil orange phaser all the time, and i've never hear it sound this broken up before. it sounds like a way dirty phaser rather than a clean phase. i'm running it through an effects loop on my amp. does that make a difference? is it like a crybaby where you have to plug the guitar into it then into the amp? or did i maybe get a bad pedal? or is it supposed to be dirty? aahhhh!!!

also, i have an electro-harmonix electric mistress flanger (freakin' awesome, might i add) but it also has one of those little switches that are exposed rather than the silent FET switches like my boss pedals have. lately it's been making a loud click when i turn it on/off, almost like the actual click is being amplified. i'm thinking maybe a contact is dirty? if i just run to the hardware store and get some contact cleaner and spray that {censored} in there would that do the job? or is there a different, probably much harder way to fix the problem lol

thanks!

• Members

Since no one has replied, I'll tell you what they usually tell people. The Phase90 doesn't like to be put in the effects loop. It sounds better in front of the amp. As for it being dirty, a lot of people complain about a little dirt, but I don't know if yours is more than usual. Anyway, there's a mod called the R28 mod that involves taking out a resistor that a lot of people do that is said to take some of that dirt away from the Phase90, though I've never done it myself. You could always compare to another Phase90 and see if yours is a dud. As for your Electric Mistress, it could be that you need a 'pulldown' resistor on the switch, which involves adding a resistor from a lug of the switch to ground, or it could be that your switch is a dud. If you don't know much about this stuff, read about it, and let someone else do it.
Luck

• Members

sometimes a popping pedal is an indication that another pedal has a dc leakage problem (bad cap.) often that pedal follows the pedal that seems to be clicking/popping, but i can be before it as well. i've even seen DC leakage coming from the amp itself, which would be diagnosed by having many pedals in your collection start popping if they're plugged directly into the amp.

as far as pedals in the loop of an amp, a lot of amp manufacturers set their loop's volume too high which causes the pedals to overload.

• Members

yah, these guys nailed it...phasers prefer the front of an amp anyways,,,
you can try shunting the switch with some .1 mf or so capacitors, that can help send some of the switching noises to ground....
but that won't help the distortion problem.
if memory serves, ya get a slight volume decrease with them peds when engaged, too....another reason to run to the front of the amp, where a higher preamp gain may smooth out the volume inconsistancies slightly.

• Members
Originally posted by pinkjimiphoton

...you can try shunting the switch with some .1 mf or so capacitors, that can help send some of the switching noises to ground....

jeepers! .1uF to ground across the switch? if i understand you right, you're suggesting more capacitive loading than a tone control turned down all the way... it would sound like your amp was in a box full of blankets! i'm not sure i agree with capacitive shunting to ground as a solution to any type of popping problem. perhaps a series cap that blocks DC. maybe that's what you meant?

happy holidays! treason's greetings!
rove_frog-march_fotoshawpt.jpg
merry fitzmas!

• Members
Originally posted by zachary vex

jeepers! .1uF to ground across the switch? if i understand you right, you're suggesting more capacitive loading than a tone control turned down all the way... it would sound like your amp was in a box full of blankets! i'm not sure i agree with capacitive shunting to ground as a solution to any type of popping problem. perhaps a series cap that blocks DC. maybe that's what you meant?

happy holidays! treason's greetings!

rove_frog-march_fotoshawpt.jpg
merry fitzmas!

great pic, Zach!!
you're right....
it's too early, no drugs yet!!!!
my brain is not together...that trick is better for like switching a/c circuits....Matt Zeiner from Dicky Bett's band hipped me to it years ago with a loud popping prob with a home made footswitch for a leslie.
i am so BRIAN dead...thanks for catching that!!
peace and happy holidays, mate.

• Members

can anyone reccomend some good reading material on fixing/cleaning those kind of switches? i'm gonna try putting the phase 90 in front of the amp a little later tonight, but i'm gonna keep the electric mistress in the loop cause it sounds kick ass the way it is. kind of a special trademark sound of mine :)

Archived