Matchless Hotbox vs. Klon vs. Lovepedal.. Help?

Soundstorm

• Members

Thanks for reading, this is my first posting. I have been hunting the Holy Grail of overdrives for quite some time now. I have quite a nice OD graveyard in my basement. Usually, I'll try something out, like it at first, and then find some kind of shortcoming after awhile and junk it.

I've finally decided to just dish out a few hundred bones for something of real boutique quality. I've been searching for some time and found some of the three top mentioned (and best rated as on this site) overdrives to be.

1. Matchless Hotbox Overdrive

2. Klon Centaur Overdrive

3. Lovepedal Eternity

My current rig is:

'78 Les Paul Custom

(effects)

410 Fender Blues DeVille (Celestion G10's, Svetlana Winged C 6L6's, EH12AX7 for preamp)

The sound I'm trying to capture is something semi heavy, but with plenty of articulation. I like to voice a melody on the upper end of a chord and let it change while I leave the bass suspended. My trouble with this is that I have a hard time finding a good overdrive that let's me do this without turning the chord into a muddy mess. I also like playing acoustic type passages without having to switch to my clean channel, in other words: touch-sensitive dynamics. The best example i can think of is the guitarist for Dredg. Also maybe Alex Lifeson from Rush, he arpeggiates plenty of his chords too.

I've read all the reviews on the three above mentioned pedals, and while they all sound great, I'd like to get a comparative review (if that were possible). You'd be surprised how little info there is about these three pedals. So if anyone's tried one, two, or all of these, or just have a good suggestion that might suit the sound I'm going for, I'd love to hear all about it. Price isn't an issue. Thanks

• Members

Those are three completely different pedals.

-The hotbox will give you a more saturated, distorted tone.

-The klon will give you a more lightly colored overdriven tone.

-I havent owned a lovepedal though, so I dont know where that sits.

• Members

Originally posted by Muzikazoo

Which is more articulate? I guess that's what's most important. The deville has a great clean sound to build off of, and with the old Les Paul I can get a good chunk from just about anything.

Try the Hotbox first.

• Members

Originally posted by Muzikazoo

Anyone else?

Ill go into detail. Basically, I've owned a hotbox and played two others, and I currently own a Klon. Ive never played a lovepedal though.

The Hotbox is more raunchy, but the most natural organic sounding overdrive ive ever used. It really just sounds alot like an overdriven matchless amplifier, with a little more tightness, definition and distortion. I got rid of it because I bought a Matchless head.

The Klon is a pretty laid back pedal, and pretty much requires your fingers to generate the tone. It brings out natural color in your signal path and adds a bit of drive and gain (huge boost if you dial it in). Although, it only has about as much gain as your average ts9/808. The klon is good if you run it in front of amp distortion, or another pedal.

If I didnt have a Matchless amp, I'd probably have both the klon and the hotbox.

• Members

For what you are describing the Lovepedal Eternity hands down. The Klon is not "semi heavy" - it excells at clean boost or very light overdrive. With the gain up it get a BIG midrange spike and can get somewhat noisy. I find it works best with a Fender guitar (strat or tele) into a cookin' Fender amp.

The Matchless HotBox beside being no linger made (unless the current incarnation of Matchless reissued it) wasn't that hot imho. The controls are very interactive and it's easier to get mud or buzz saw sounds out of it than a decent OD sound. It's also know for blowing up it's transformer. The SIB! Varidrive blows it away.

The Eternity in a word RAWKS! I've been a convert now for about four of five months and love it more each time I use it. Your description of holding bass notes while moving the treble notes is exactly one reason I love the Eternity. Even with the gain up I can play arpegiated passages and hear each note in the chord. Articutlate, but not harsh. The bass strings can growl at the same time the treble strings sing. The treble boost is very well voiced (it's a not a traditional tone control). All the way counter clockwise is off, and as you turn it clockwise you add treble/bite. I tend to leave mine somwhere around 9:00 o'clock or so, but it has a very large sweet spot. I think it's just what you are looking for.

PS like Gainster I've owned all three - still have the Eternity.

• Members

I'd sell the Deville and buy a better amp with the money from that and the $300 you'd spend on a pedal. For example, the Mesa Nomad 45 combo can be had for under $700. Most amazing high-gain sound I've ever heard (because it sounds more like a screaming Marshall than a Mesa).

• Members

I've never played the Hotbox, but I have a Matchless amp...

And both an Eternity and a Klon.

These are two great pedals, and I've owned and sold many...

The Klon is the best clean boost you can find, and a very nice OD. The Eternity is simply wonderfull. Listen to the Gainster's clips.

You can't go wrong with those two pedals as they have a strong resale value. Moreover, you can cascade them and get very interesting tones.

This said, beside being expensive, these are not pedals for beginners. You really have to have some skills to get their best.

Hope this helped!

• Members

Originally posted by GuitArtMan

For what you are describing the Lovepedal Eternity hands down. The Klon is not "semi heavy" - it excells at clean boost or very light overdrive. With the gain up it get a BIG midrange spike and can get somewhat noisy. I find it works best with a Fender guitar (strat or tele) into a cookin' Fender amp.

The Matchless HotBox beside being no linger made (unless the current incarnation of Matchless reissued it) wasn't that hot imho. The controls are very interactive and it's easier to get mud or buzz saw sounds out of it than a decent OD sound. It's also know for blowing up it's transformer. The SIB! Varidrive blows it away.

The Eternity in a word RAWKS! I've been a convert now for about four of five months and love it more each time I use it. Your description of holding bass notes while moving the treble notes is exactly one reason I love the Eternity. Even with the gain up I can play arpegiated passages and hear each note in the chord. Articutlate, but not harsh. The bass strings can growl at the same time the treble strings sing. The treble boost is very well voiced (it's a not a traditional tone control). All the way counter clockwise is off, and as you turn it clockwise you add treble/bite. I tend to leave mine somwhere around 9:00 o'clock or so, but it has a very large sweet spot. I think it's just what you are looking for.

PS like Gainster I've owned all three - still have the Eternity.

There is a ri hotbox

• Members

Originally posted by Nico de Roode

There is a ri hotbox

Ok, I hope they fixed the problem with the transformer. I was in my amp techs shop once when he had not one, not two, but three HotBoxes in with blown transformers. I remeber the old forum here and one of the old timers Kensky - he had a hotBox and blew the transformer. I've watched them on ebay and the acution will often state original/replaced transformer. I still say the Varidrive blows the HotBox away.

• Members

I've gone through a lot of the boutique OD/Distortions, and my favorite is the Eternity. It just sounds real "natural" to me, blends real well with the amp. Sounds like power tube distortion.

Never had a Klon. I had a Hotbox clone but I don't do for that pre-amp tube distortion sound.

• Members

i got an eternity ages ago on ebay for 99 bucks (despite not really liking overdrive) cuz it looked cool as hell and seemed like a good deal (and i wanted to give od another shot)

i bought it and never played it, then when i joined the last band i was in i started using it and loving it.

i got a lovetone cheese source (that's the od/fuzz) because i thought that i had changed and that i liked overdrive, i still don't.

i just like the eternity.

one of the coolest things about it is it cleans up my fuzz factory, somehow gives it more string definition which can be a problem in certain settings.

never used the others and apparently he upgraded the design since I got mine but people really seem to like this thing. it's also probably the cheapest of all the pedals you mentioned.

it is just natural, sounds like your guitar with a little more harmonics and a tiny bit of bite. that's how i set mine anyways.

• Members

Originally posted by vintageabuser

i got an eternity ages ago on ebay for 99 bucks (despite not really liking overdrive) cuz it looked cool as hell and seemed like a good deal (and i wanted to give od another shot)

i bought it and never played it, then when i joined the last band i was in i started using it and loving it.

i got a lovetone cheese source (that's the od/fuzz) because i thought that i had changed and that i liked overdrive, i still don't.

i just like the eternity.

one of the coolest things about it is it cleans up my fuzz factory, somehow gives it more string definition which can be a problem in certain settings.

never used the others and apparently he upgraded the design since I got mine but people really seem to like this thing. it's also probably the cheapest of all the pedals you mentioned.

it is just natural, sounds like your guitar with a little more harmonics and a tiny bit of bite. that's how i set mine anyways.

:eek::freak::cry:

GAS

Archived