Just bought an old DOD R-880 Stereo Rack Delay

Grubgoat

• Members

I love mine--my favorite analog delay ever. My old HC review (the 1998 one! I was so young! and even more pretentious!) is still accurate, so I'm guessing it's out of the "honeymoon" phase.

Seriously, good score. The double-delay thing is great for creating roars of analog crust noise--the two delays are connected (one of them is basically a fraction of the speed of the other--not independently adjustable, or at least I don't think so), so don't expect any sort of crazy seasick polyrhythm stuff, but for noise or dub, you're set.

Keep it at a level where you can adjust the knobs and buttons while you're playing (or mixing, or what have you--great studio effect)--it's the sort of thing where you COULD just set-it-and-forget-it, but it's a lot more fun to play around.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got it yesterday, and played with it some. You're right, its cool as hell. Has two "speed" modes, and *loves* to self-oscillate. Haven't tried both outputs yet, but I *really* like the fact that it has 1/4 jacks in the front, too. Only problem with this one, the on/off button is glitchy. Have to see if I can clean it, or rig it to stay on all the time.

Seriously though, why don't more people talk about these cool old rack delays? I had an Ibanez rack digital delay from the 80's once, thing sounded incredible, and had great control over pitch shifting and flanging and chorus, etc. These things seem way more powerful than pedals, even though I'm a pedal guy normally...

Archived