Question about Fulltone Clyde Deluxe

magnon

• Members

I know this pedal has gotten some mixed reviews lately, but I found one in a shop today that I thought sounded pretty sweet, so I picked it up.

However, I found something a little strange/disappointing) when I got it home. It sounds awesome through my Fender Champ if none of my other pedals are on. However, if I have it in front of my Big Muff with both pedals engaged, the wah ain't happening *at all*. The Clyde acts as a *very* subtle volume pedal when in front of the Muff.

In front of my Z Vex Octane III, the Clyde acts as a not-so-subtle volume pedal with *no* wah coming through.

Now here's the thing: I know you are always "supposed" to put the wah first, but if I put it after either of these pedals, it sounds pretty awesome to me, without any of the harsh high-pitched screetching that I'd been warned of.

So I have two questions. The first is just a matter of curiosity: What's going on here? Why is the wah just not happening in front of my fuzz or octave pedals?

The second question is a pratical issue: Should I care? Since I like the way the wah sounds after my other effects, I'd think the answer is no. However, I'm a little worried that having an unconvential signal chain could get to be a problem as I expand my effects collection (I'm planning on adding a Voodoo Vibe, delay, and Fuzz Factory as my bank account will allow).

Thanks for any help!

• Members

That's normal behavior for most wahs. The Colorsound and Wheels Of Fire Wahs are the only wahs, to the best of my knowledge, that retain their voice before a fuzz. You can install a buffer that would allow it to function before a fuzz. Foxrox Elec. and Area 51 both offer drop in kits.

• Members
Originally posted by magnon

Interesting - I've always heard that the wah should go first...

Oh well, I'll just go with what's working.

Thanks.

Wah 1st, if you're using overdrive or distortion. With a fuzz, you are better off going after the fuzz, although the boost and tone of a wah driving a fuzz is pretty cool.

Archived