Opinions on the Keeley CE-2 mod?

gatordoc

• Members

I just picked up a mint CE-2 for a great price so I was considering the Keeley mod for this pedal. What will this mod do for the tone?

It actually sounds pretty good stock but a bit on the muddy side compared to my DC-2. I'm only considering the Hi-Fi mod and not the Speedy mod as I have no real use for the extra speed. Thanks.

• Members

I sent mine in when I got it off eBay. I liked it stock. After the Keeley mod, it has a much nicer shimmer to it. Definitely more clear and shinnier but NOT digital sounding. I got the speedy however I never turn the rate up more than say 9 o'clock.

I say that it is definitely worth it and based on the fact that you think it sounds a bit dark, you should go for it.

• Members

Another trick I found with the speedy mod is that the internal trimmer can be turned back to make it ultra slow as well and I can get it to almost stand still on the slow setting..after the mod I found the chourus to have a slight boost and it loves OD/Dist effects more than before. It also sounds great with acoustic guitars.

• Members

Thanks guys.

I am definitely into choruses that "shimmer" as this is what I primarily use one for in my rig. The DC-2 has great 3-D shimmer and sounds a bit more hi-fi but in a good way because it's cleaner and clearer without being thin or metallic. Sounds like the Keeley mod will add more of this to the CE-2.

I may consider the Speedy mod too because I wasn't aware you could slow it down to less than stock. I use slower sweeps so this may actually add something extra to the pedal for me.

Archived