Fulltone no longer sells direct

Alldowntheline

• Members

It's actually a brilliant move on thier part. This move allows Fulltone to focus solely on building pedals. If a company has dealers selling direct can make it harder on both builders and the dealers. The builder has to deal with the end user, which can be pleasant, but can also be very trying. The dealer has to compete with the company because , as you stated, some people would rather avoid "middlemen". Honest and unbiased dealers are a benefit to customers and the builders. The builder may not have as much experience with other products and may be less qualified to make an informed comparison between several products.

• Members

Dealing with customers is a pain in the ass. Especially musician customers. Its why a builder lets a middle man make 30 percent or more on a pedal.

That being said I am not sure these days why an online dealer is needed. I mean the builders are on the forums daily and most times find folks asking them questions in the forums.

Builders have dealers so they dont have to field stupid questions all day.

Guest Anonymous

Having started by selling direct, I agree that dealing with customers can be a heavy load (especially if you are building to order!! :eek:), but I must say I really miss a lot of the individual interaction that goes along with selling direct. That's one of the reasons I started up the custom shop, and am actually making plans to have some direct-sale only effects in the next month or two.

devi-

• Members

i'm surprised it took him htis long. He probably just got sick of dealing with customers... and let's face it, he's probably got the worst personality in the booteek worl... i gots a guy know who works a t a {censored}tone - er i mean fulltone - dealer and he said that mf regulalrly snds nasty and threataning emails to the dealers god hes a prick.

besides he wouldnt even have a business if wasnt for that guy keoshi, or whatever is his name - it's a japanese genius who works for fulltone, he designs EVERYTHING, mike fuller apparetnyl couldnt tie his shoes without keoshis help.

• Members
Originally posted by gankdor

besides he wouldnt even have a business if wasnt for that guy keoshi, or whatever is his name - it's a japanese genius who works for fulltone, he designs EVERYTHING, mike fuller apparetnyl couldnt tie his shoes without keoshis help.

LOLLOLOL.. knee slapper.. :)

You want me to believe that Michael Fuller is a duMbass??

500 dealers worlwide, 10 years at the the top of his field..
The man did something right, give me a break..

• Members
Originally posted by Kimsuzzie...

LOLLOLOL.. knee slapper..
:)

You want me to believe that Michael Fuller is a duMbass??

500 dealers worlwide, 10 years at the the top of his field..

The man did something right, give me a break..

500 dealers worldwide? are you counting all of the guitar centers or something? because there's only about 140-150 listed on his site.

he's been at the top of the boutique field, with out a doubt, for the 14 years since he started. i'm just not sure that there's actually 500 dealers worldwide that are interested in selling boutique effects! maybe 200? not including guitar centers?

edited to correct the number of years fuller's been in business from 12 to 14. time gets away from me sometimes.

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

zach,

as someone who doesn't sell direct anymore, can you elaborate on your comment?

aside from the first year or so of getting started, i have never sold direct. i've always sold through dealers only... i just think it's interesting that he stopped after 12 years. i have heard from one long-time fulltone dealer that lead times on orders have gone from 4-6 weeks last year to 4-6 months this year.

• Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

aside from the first year or so of getting started, i have never sold direct. i've always sold through dealers only... i just think it's interesting that he stopped after 12 years. i have heard from one long-time fulltone dealer that lead times on orders have gone from 4-6 weeks last year to 4-6 months this year.

My local Fulltone dealer was just told he won't get an order for 6-8 months.

• Members
Originally posted by zachary vex

Order times for dealers has been very long lately, but everything is readily available on ebay from dealers, even the hard-to-find OCD.

• Members
Originally posted by UnkleSlam

It's actually a brilliant move on thier part. This move allows Fulltone to focus solely on building pedals. If a company has dealers selling direct can make it harder on both builders and the dealers. The builder has to deal with the end user, which can be pleasant, but can also be very trying. The dealer has to compete with the company because , as you stated, some people would rather avoid "middlemen". Honest and unbiased dealers are a benefit to customers and the builders. The builder may not have as much experience with
other
products and may be less qualified to make an informed comparison between several products.

I find this thread very interesting, and think Brad's comments are true. I've been on his side and worked for a Fulltone dealer for a number of years. Never had a complaint dealing with Mike. Anyway, while working in a gutar shop I found those that work for music equipment manufactuers to be partial to what the sold. It's understandable, but being able to make honest comparisons to other equipment is not what they do. I've always tried to be honest and upfront with my dealers and customers on what my stuff does, and I frequently suggest other pedal makers stuff. I don't want a potentail customer to have something they don't want or need. Having said that I'm a gear head. I like checking out new stuff and seeing what it does. I still sell direct for a couple of reasons.
1. I'm a small guy. I don't sell very many during the year.
2. I have no over seas dealers. Most of my online sales are over seas. If I know a dealer has it in stock, I send that customer to them.

If I had the business, I would do the same thing that Z. and Fulltone has done. It's easier to focus your energies that way, but I have no complaints and it keeps me on my toes. Especially being a one man operation.:thu: Good thread....

• Members

Originally posted by workinclasszero

Only about 6 Guitar Center carry Fulltone but I'm sure he counts all 150+ to make himself feel better.

About 6 Guitar Centers are worth a {censored}. Though I have to say the gal selling strings at GC Seattle tonight was AMAZING. She knew her warez. I told her too. I told the manager. I actually asked the manager to fire the other douche bags that normally work there but called in sick. {censored}ing hacks.

• Members

I wouldn't under estimate Mike Fuller. He can probably do something fantastic with this.
He has always treated me with resepect and kindness even after we disagreed.

I too am plagued and worried by overseas prices that are higher. Sometimes I feel that is the way it is, prices are higher to import a special product on a small scale. Othertimes I feel that the overseas prices really screw those customers in some markets. Hmmm, never have figured out what to do. One day I'll sit down and get it straight.

take care folks!
rk

Archived