Comparison beetween ZVex Wah Probe / SD2in1

newstrat60

• Members

Last night i cascaded my Wah Probe in front of an OD pedal, and i turned up the "Drive" on the WP quite high (half way).

My foot was touching the copper plate and stayed there.

OMG !:eek: the clarity yet the grit of the chords !!! the body, the RAWKiness !!! in other words, i felt i was playing an exploding amp ! the perfect OD without the common mushiness !!

ALL at bedroom volumes with my strat and Blues Jr set clean !

So this puts the following question : :idea: can i achieve this sound with an SD2in1 ?

:freak::wave:

• Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

no, but you can achieve it with a wah probe while touching the copper plate! 8^D

:mad:

it wasnt a wah sound at all, it wasnt the sinthy WP sound neither (which i like a lot BTW), I guess it sounded like a boost, full with grit, amplike sound at its best...

For the record i cascaded the WP in front of a mild overdrive pedal

so since the WP has a SHO in the wah circuit i thought a "straight" SHO or SDupper could do something similar in achieving a pushed amp sound at bedroom volumes

so ?

• Members

in the wah probe, the filter comes after the SHO circuit. if you crank up the SHO all the way, it overloads the wah filter so severely that i there's no math to examine the outcome. i imagine there was some filtering involved... but an SHO cranked up without the wah probe circuit following it probably won't sound exactly the same. the SHO cranked alone will probably have more low-end in the signal.

• Members

in the wah probe, the filter comes after the SHO circuit. if you crank up the SHO all the way, it overloads the wah filter so severely that i there's no math to examine the outcome. i imagine there was some filtering involved... but an SHO cranked up without the wah probe circuit following it probably won't sound exactly the same. the SHO cranked alone will probably have more low-end in the signal.

yes, maybe there was just a little filtering in that noise...

So i understand a semi cranked SHO/SD, still tamed in volume by a mild OD, could sound a bit the same

So you didnt convince me i shouldn't try a SHO/SD2in1 now... :D;)

but no joke, an important question bothers me : does a boost can help to simulate the sound of a pushed amp, since IMO, an overdrive pedal doesnt do the trick at 100% (sorry for bad english)

:)

• Members

Originally posted by newstrat60

yes, maybe there was just a little filtering in that noise...

So i understand a semi cranked SHO/SD, still tamed in volume by a mild OD, could sound
a bit
the same

So you didnt convince me i shouldn't try a SHO/SD2in1 now...
:D;)

but no joke, an important question bothers me : does a boost can help to simulate the sound of a pushed amp, since IMO, an overdrive pedal doesnt do the trick at 100% (sorry for bad english)

:)

well that's the {censored}ing problem with overdrives and distortions, and that's part of the reason i've avoided building a traditional one.

typicially they beat the signal to {censored} and don't really sound like an amp. at worst, they sound like a plastic tarp wrapped tightly around an unidentified half-dead victim.

• Members

well that's the {censored}ing problem with overdrives and distortions, and that's part of the reason i've avoided building a traditional one.

typicially they beat the signal to {censored} and don't really sound like an amp. at worst, they sound like a plastic tarp wrapped tightly around an unidentified half-dead victim.

half dead, that is...

mmm :confused::idea: > for bedroom volumes, could the Nano give me that crunch + clarity sound ?

• Members

Originally posted by Teahead

Did you ever try a treble booster? It sounds very much like the experience you've had with the wah probe, clarity, definition and crunch!
:cool:

Although not for bedroom volumes, at all.
:(

no, i've never tried one... but Lovepedal's Eternity intrigues me (it's an OD with a treble boost control instead of a normal tone control), though i fear it to be too "soft" aka "juicy blues" instead of "crunch rawk" if u see what i mean :confused:

Archived